GUN cleaning tips? long guns/revolver

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by oakback, Mar 23, 2009.

1. oakback

oakback New Member

Only gun I own/have experience with is my XD45. I just discovered my father-in-law's guns (I always knew he had some, but never looked at them). He got them from his dad, and only has full usage of one arm, so he hasn't shot them in years.

I'd like to clean them up and take him to the range. A couple have some surface rust.

He has a couple cleaning kits (not sure what's in them, just saw the boxes), and I have some brake free, what else do I need? Anything special I should know? What should I use on (or keep off of) the wood parts?

From what I can remember, he has a savage 22 w/ scope, 12, 20, and 28 gauge shotguns (one pump, 2 break action), Rohm .22 short revolver, Buffalo Bill Winchestor 30-30, a 30-06, and I think two others I can't recall.

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

For surface rust, Hoppes No. 9 and some 0000 Steel Wool is what I use. You can use Hoppes for wood as well, though I dunno about Break Free.

For everything else, prepare to hear a ton of opinions. Personally, I never even TOUCH the inside of my bores with anything until I notice a decrease in accuracy. Then I clean them with bore-guides (if available) and coated Dewey one piece rods. I've seen people fuck up barrels more "cleaning" them, than they do shooting them. Unless you are using corrosive ammo, or shooting an absolute shit ton, I wouldn't worry about it much. Maybe just a simple field strip and wipe down.

3. oakback

oakback New Member

If there is rust on the outside of a barrel, should I worry about it on the inside of the barrel?

BTW, these have all been kept in soft cases in a gun cabinet, I'm guessing any surface rust formed years ago before he had the cases.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm just going to quote that because it gives me the warm and fuzzies after reading so many people talk about elaborate cleaning rituals and never examining the benefits of them. I think lots of people get off on cleaning as much as they do on shooting. Listen to this man.

Also http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0053984220674a.shtml

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Hmm.... maybe. If it's just light surface rust, then it will come out when you shoot the guns. If it's a heavy type of cancer, then you have big problems. If these are going to be sitting somewhere for a while, I'd go into preservation mode. Coat the bore in some sort of moisture preventative (I like RIG grease), and do the same for all exposed metal.

If he is storing his stuff in soft cases (especially those with foam padding in them), he needs to stop. That cloth/foam/etc tends to suck in moisture like a sponge, and hold it there. I've ruined several guns doing this. Keep them somewhere dry, and maybe looks at putting some silica gel (or the electronic golden-rod thingee) in the area. The name of the game is to get rid of as much moisture in the air as possible.

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Haha, my favorite quote pertaining gun cleaning rituals:

"Cleaning before accuracy wanes off is akin to wiping your ass before the shit"

7. oakback

oakback New Member

Thanks for the tips!

8. johnson

johnson New Member

9. I have a good time laughing at the BARFcom guys who scrub the living shit out of their bores after every range session. They don't stop until every bit of copper is out of that bore. And they're not even benchrest shooters, that's what they tell everyone to do.

10. I remember not too long ago there was a guy wanting to know how he could get the brass marks off his shell deflector.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

:rofl: I've noticed there's a couple brands of handguns that have forums where you can clearly tell that many owners shoot a box or two a year.

12. Can you imagine what would happen if LOLrue started making cleaning supplies?

13. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

I ussually just run a really lose jag + patch + weapon shield

14. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I saw that thread too. :rofl:

15. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

:rofl: wow