GUN Cleaning the Remington 1100

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Any tips/tricks? The manual gives some advice, but I know that what's in the manual isn't always the best way to do things. Is there a favored method to keep these things running well? I noticed there is some scuffing on the mag tube where the piston assembly runs back and forth, so my initial inclination is to lube it, but I read from various places online not to lube it. Thoughts?

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

i need to get you that dvd.

Get some of those green scotchbright pads. The real thin ones like 1/8" thick, square sheets. Wrap it around the tube and make like your sanding it. You want to remove all carbon. You'll wear the black phosphate thin or bare over time but don't sweat it. As a 1100 owner you are going to be keeping that piston area cleaner than your wang.

Get inside the cavity where the piston rides, pull out the piston and give that a good scubbing too. Do all this with scotch brite. check your o-ring for any nicks or tear or replace it entirely. I like to poke out the gas port holes, just to make sure there is nothing obstructing it, but this is probably more paranoia than anything else.

I lube my piston wet for competition. I also lube the action bars slightly, as well as the lightest of touches on the bolt in the contact points.

I get a bore mop and mop the feed tube. Clean the follower. I use one of those hi viz delron followers with the tail. I bend and wrap the spring around the tail so it's captured. The follower gets cleaned with plexus so it's super slick.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. Cool, thanks. I'll get some scotchbrite.

4. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

On a related note, I shot my 1100 for the first time last night... Thing was a blast and was pretty easy to keep on target. I definitely need to head out Dave to get that easy loader installed.

5. k9n

k9n Member

6. Cool link. Thanks.