Cleaning stained leather

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by rsxm5, May 22, 2006.

1. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

My friend has an '05 F150 Lariat with tan leather interior. He put a brown leather jacket in the back seat, and somehow, it ended up taking the dye from the jacket and now there are brown stains on the back seat. I told him to try using Lexol cleaner and conditioner, but that didn't seem to do the trick... any ideas? If it would be helpful, I could get pics.

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

This isn't one of the King Ranch trucks, right? If it's just regular Ford leather (clearcoated) try some diluted All-Purpose Cleaner and a fingernail brush to clean the stains up. Then re-clean with the Lexol and condition.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Yeah, what he said. Cleaning up leather that has dye stains can be really tough.

BTW, if that is the King Ranch.... :drool: Smells like a freakin' catcher's mitt!

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Nah, not the King Ranch... he always talked about getting one, then he ended up not. Either way, still a pretty nice truck (much better ride than my GMC Sierra 1500). Anyway, I'll pass on the info and see what happens! Thanks!

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Saddle Soap is another option to try. A little water and a good quality brush have gotten out some preaty rediculas stains from my friends leather furniture. Might be worth trying here too.

6. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

http://sem.ws/product.php?product_id=78

SEM Leather/Plastic prep rubbed in with a grey scuff pad is about as aggresive as you can get when cleaning leather without removing the factory color. It may dull your leather a bit, and you'll have to condition it to restore its sheen.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

That looks like DEFINITELY an absolute last resort to me.... there's no way you shouold go right to that. Try the APC and/or Saddle Soap first, for sure. :noes: