Cleaning single-stage residue from PC pads?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Zylo, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

I polished a heavily oxidized single-stage red truck (older Ranger) and I have red paint all over my yellow and white lake pads :(

I've tried washing it out, but no avail. Haven't tried machine washing tho. Would a cleaning spur get this stuff out or should I just ignore it? It appears to be deep within the open cells of the foam and not blatantly on the surface of the pad as washing got SOME of the residue out.

The reason I ask is I am not sure if the residue would act as a mild abrasive...

Thanks!

2. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

First thing is to wash real good. The best way and I’m assuming that the paint is thin is to use a chemical cleaner to take the heavily oxidization off using a cutting pad. When doing so don’t press down real hard let the chemical cleaner work for you and change or clean your pad often, use a clay bar after you have taken the oxidization off, claying is vary important in saving your paint. OK now the oxidization is gone and you have removed the contamination with the clay bar. Ok now depending how much paint you have left and the condition of it. If you have enough paint left you can use a compound using and a cutting pad to get rid of any bad paint defects to a point. Then use a glaze to cover up the rest of the smaller defects and to bring back life back to the paint, again we are talking about an old single sage paint.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Northpac-he is asking how to clean the pads after polishing out an SS paint job.

===============

Soak the pads about 30 minutes in water/laundry detergent (if the sink is half full, maybe a few ounces of detergent), then rinse them out. Any polishing residue and dead paint should wash out but the color may remain on the pads.

4. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

ok, cool :) I did the car months ago and have washed and washed them since with outrageous amounts of snappy clean, but you answered my question with the red color.

Thanks!