Cleaning polished wheels

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Bad Mojo, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

There has got to be a better way... my whole body aches after spending time cleaning some polished wheels yesterday. I used Eagle One polish, and followed the directions (apply til black, buff off). It took a LONG time, and my back was hurtin'. Granted they were pretty intricate, lots of nooks and crannies.

Any tips out there? Maybe a better product or system to get them clean?

Thanks!

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I just keep up on mine once a week or so. Every time I wash the car, I scrub at the wheels with a wheel brush. Doesn't take long and I don't use anything more than the car soap that's in the bucket.

3. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Wow, I wish it was that easy yesterday. The car hadn't been waxed since last November... The wheels were kinda kept up, being aftermarket rims, but had a lot of caked on brake dust and road grime. My wheels aren't as complicated, so I never had to buy a brush, so I did it all by hand, and it was a pain in the ass (literally, the garage floor is hard, and over an hour of sitting on it was killing me :).

Thanks for the advice, I may just have them bring the car by every couple of weeks so I can get a coat of something on it and clean the wheels.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I second the motion to clean the wheels weekly. Car wash soap is the safest. If you keep up on them, they won't get bad. You can also use a cleaner wax on them every time you wax your car and switch to a low dusting brake pad, like the newer ceramic ones.

5. LOtown

LOtown Active Member

Go with a Liquid Polish instead of a Paste Polish. I personally use Blue Magic on my Billet Aluminum wheels and love it. Another good brand of polish you could try if you can find it is Heavy Metal Polish.

I used to use Mother's Paste Polish, and that was a real pain...The liquid polishes work MUCH better with less effort...