Cleaning foam pads

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Doodie head, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Doodie head

Doodie head i have no legs

I have a bunch of meguairs pads and i used them with #80 and #83. I'm switching to Optimum Polish, per Scottwax's recommendation, would i have to get new pads or can i some how clean the current Polishing and Cutting pads that i used.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You can clean them but that doesn't guarantee all traces of the old polishes would be removed. When in doubt, pop for new pads.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

What Scott said.

But, if you are affraid of cross contamination, and dont have the bucks to spend. You can get some dish soap, fill up a sink with hot water, and a scoop of Oxyclean. Let the pads soak for about 10-15 minutes. Then begin to kneed them out, squeezing, and kneeding out the old polish. You can get them preaty damn clean that way.

THis is usually the process i use on my cutting and polishing pads after i do a single stage paint job car. And it cleans them almost back to new condition. Ive got a couple of polishing pads that are nearly 2 years old.

4. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

I thought I read some where that the megs pads come apart if they are exposed to water to many times.

5. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Meg’s pads velcro comes apart more in likely at the #6 speed on your PC that & using cleaning solvents

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

My cutting pad is finally having some issues after a year and a half of hard use. The velcro backing on it is coming loose to the point of un-useable. I dont think this is so much do to the fact that it has been put in water, as much as i think it is what NorthPac suggested...running it on my PC at speed 6 when im in the final stages of useing DACP after its broken down.

They are decent pads though. And they have held up well considering the circumstances they have been in over the time ive used them.

I think any pad, reguardless of manufacture, velcro backing type, foam type, etc. will eventually break down with use. Just like everything else we use in this business.