Cleaning Engine Bay?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by ZACKMORRIS, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

I purchased a 98 z28 about 2 weeks ago and am gonna give the car a good wash, clay & wax tomorrow. I also want to clean the engine bay. What's everyones recommendation for cleaning the motor/engine bay stuff? I've heard of everything from Purple power to simple green. Suggestions?

I read the sticky by Scottwax, and was wondering if you still used the Greased Lightning method?

2. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

This is what I do, YMMV:

I either use purple power or Castrol Super Degreaser on it.

I cut it at about 4:1

Go through the engine bay picking out any large chunks of debris.

I take tin foil and cover up any major electrical I can find like the alternator, my air filter on my CAI, any easy access plugs.

Start the car and let it run for about 5 mins bringing the engine up to running temperature.

Spray liberally the chemical that you choose on the engine and let it dwell for about 5 mins.

I get a brush and start scrubbing out all the areas that I can reach.

Then I either get the power washer out and spray the engine bay down or I use the hose with light water pressure. I just built up the confidence this year to use the pressure washer.

Then I turn then engine back on to let it dry off, dab off the pools of water and let it air dry. I go work on another part of the car at this time.

I come back at the end and take a dressing, ususally a cheap spray tire dressing and spray it on the plastic parts avoiding the belts and then wipe off the excess.

Boom, you are done.

I can do any engine no matter how dirty in 30 mins or less.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

fire the motherfucker up and spray it down like Peter North. Just don't blast the alternator (no, I don't cover everything up. no, i've never had a problem.)

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I still use the Greased Lightning stuff. Works great. :)

5. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

I ended up picking up some Simple Green. I couldn't find the Greased Lightning orange stuff. It looks better than it did before, that's for sure.

6. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Careful, thats heavy duty stuff and is hard on hoses and belts make sure you dilute.