Cleaning a noob's computer, input needed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Guardfather, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

I'm putting some utilities onto a CD for a friend to clean a computer with. I'm not sure what virii/worms/trojans/spyware it has. I just know that it supposedly won't allow web pages to load (at least in IE). This is one of those "it won't let me do this" situations. The person my friend is helping doesn't know how to describe problems. Which is why I'm just putting the tools on a cd for them to use. I don't have direct access to their computer in order to accurately diagnose the problem.

That being said, I'd like to provide some fixing/cleaning utilz and some programs to prevent further problems.

Here's what I've got so far...
    Cleaners for all the major worms/virii that have circulated in the past couple years.
    Avast virus removal tool
    Adaware
    Spybot S&D
    AVG Antivirus
    Zonealarm
    Firefox
    Thunderbird

Anything else I should include? I'm just trying to cover as many of the common areas as possible. I've got to burn the cd and bring it to work tomorrow.

2. skooter

skooter Guest

maybe include service pack 2 ? it is worth a shot, because the "new firewall" will ask you when i a program is trying to access the internet.

3. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

hmm i hadn't heard that until now. i did hear that programs can now turn off the XP firewall, though. :\
    i think i'll include a note on keeping updated in the readme. thanks for the suggestion and information.