GUN Cleaning a new Gun Vs. leaving it dirty

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nebulous, Apr 20, 2010.

1. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

I just bought a Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II,

[​IMG]

and have begun the slow process of breaking it in. When I took it home I immediately field striped it and gave it a thorough cleaning as well as properly lubricated it before I took it to the range. Anyway after I shot it I took it home and cleaned it out again because I was just always taught that you should always do that, but a buddy of mine who is pretty knowledgeable about these things said it would have been good to let it stay dirty for the first 500 rounds or so to really break it in.

Is that true? What do you think, keep cleaning it every time, or let it stay dirty for the next 400 rounds or so?

2. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I think it depends on the gun. I always took extra care to clean my Beretta and 1911s during break-in and after. My Sigs get a little brushing and wipe-down. The Glocks get thrown back in the bag/holster until next time.

3. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i clean every time.

why leave the gun dirty on purpose?

i can see if you only put a few rounds thru it just waiting till the next time but if you're putting a bunch of rounds thru it just clean it.

for my .38 it seems all i can find regularly are lead rounds (not fmj) so i clean it no matter what even with just a couple rounds. i'm not leaving that lead sit in my barrel.

why run a gun dirty if you have a chance to clean it sure guns can take some abuse and you can probably go a long time without cleaning it, but why do so if you don't have to? :dunno:

did you ask your buddy why he thinks a dirty barrel and slide rails is good for a gun?

I don't like friction on moving parts if i can stop it, so i clean my guns.

4. nebulous

he basically said the build up helps smooth out the friction points. He compared it to when you buy a new car and you don't want to do an oil change for a certain amount of time. But I don't know if that is true either, honestly.

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Either way wont hurt it. After putting a couple hundred rounds on most guns, it's not going to make them that dirty. If i were you I'd clean every 500-1000 whichever you are most comfortable with. Over cleaning isn't going to hurt it as long as you relube. If it's your carry gun you may want to clean after each range trip. I don't know how well your gun runs dirty, it's something you'll just have to find out.

On that note, I'm a believer that most guns, especially expensive semi-autos, should not have a break in period. They should work 100% or close to it from the factory. Especially if they are marketed for concealed carry or duty use.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Unlike an engine with a recirculating oil supply, with a handgun you've got no way of ensuring the abrasives are evenly distributed across all the sliding surfaces, so the amount of accelerated wear will be different at each contact point. Whether the abrasives in the firing residue are strong enough to really cause any meaningful acceleration in the break-in process at all, I have no idea, but speaking hypothetically your buddy's idea sounds good but is flawed nonetheless.

I say keep it clean, or if you want to accelerate the break-in the right way, put a polishing compound on the sliding parts and run a few rounds through it, then clean it and call it a day.

7. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i guess i dis-agree with him.

I'd prefer to make sure my gun is properly cleaned and lubed.

I don't want my lubrication at my friction points to be compromised by being fowled with unburned powder etc.

I'd personally keep it clean, properly lubed and I've seemed to do well by doing so.

I see some guys with some obvious wear on slide rails, barrel etc more than likely due to not being properly lubricated.

Not over lubricated either :)

fuck keeping a gun dirty on purpose, sure if you're in combat in Iraq you may have to shoot the hell out of your weapon and hopefully it can take the abuse, but under the conditions we're in why put your gun thru the added stress and fowled lubrication etc.

reduced friction and wear = good thing

at least that's my opinion

I clean my carry guns monthly even if i hadn't shot them, it's amazing after a few months carried in a belly band or IWB tuckable holster etc how much lint and dust etc finds it's way to your weapon.

I keep my guns clean and lubricated.

My dad has some strange theories on weapon care and cleaning, i think it's from the shit he learned in the army during the early 60's. He isn't gonna change now, but the fact is, this isn't vietnam, this isn't the 1960's, and some of his views are outdated, or don't apply to a non combat situation.

But

If i took every thing he said as truth i'd probably agree with the dirty gun helping break in theory. but the old ass 1911's like he had etc were looser guns, things have just changed.

and we're not in a jungle or a desert etc

8. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

this dude words it in a way that might make sense to your buddy

9. nebulous

Thanks for the advice everybody.

And :werd: to Keesh about no break in period. The first time I took it out I put 100 rounds through it, and it never jammed until around round 85-90, but that was when a buddy was shooting it who really has zero shooting experience. No miss-fires, just the one miss load.

I was pretty happy because I was shooting my buddies Kimber before I bought this one, and I seem to remember it jamming up a little more often then that.

10. phigity

phigity New Member

I clean/lube after every time I shoot whether it's my carry weapons or my AR. I prefer to have everything ready to go any a moment's notice.