Cleaning a freshly painted car

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by moss, Jun 17, 2004.

1. moss

moss Guest

Ok, so my buddy with an MR2-T wants me to clean up his freshly painted car (read: 1 week old). I told him I can't wax it, but I can glaze it. Is that basically the only thing I can use to clean up the paint until the month or so wait is up for it to be waxed?

I'll probably wind up using what I have in my garage... Meguiars MGL #7, or is there something better?

keith

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze will clean the paint and leave behind polymer protectant that won't seal the paint.

3. moss

moss Guest

as always, thank you for the knowledge :)

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

im going to dissagree hree jsut rince it off dount touch the paint with any thing and park it in teh garage the paint is still verry soft and dust can attach itself to it easily

I repeat jsut rinse it with water

5. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

Agree with Scottwax, Disagree with flynfrog

Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze is Body Shop Safe which means it's safe for new paints. It leaves breathable protection so that the paint can cure but still be protected.

After a month, treat the paint like normal.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

the problem is not with the product its the touching of the paint at one week running a wash mit across it will scratch it you dont have to belive me though find out for your self

and all of the meguiers line is body shop save that dosnt mean its safe for new paint it means its paintable IE no silicone

7. Scottwax

You can immediately wet sand, cut and buff fresh paint. What you cannot do is seal it. When I got my car back from the body shop, I was only told two things. Do not use a pressure washer on it for a week and no waxing for 90 days. The very first thing I did when I got my car home was to go over the hood and fenders with DACP and Swirl Free Polish to remove some light swirling, then finished with #81 Hand Polish and some quick detail spray. It has been 4 years now and the paint looks incredibly good.

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

as some one who paints cars we dont cut and buff till at leat 2 weeks after the paint is done we also use a verry slow reducer to keep teh paint form orange peeling

we usaly tell epeopel jsut rinse them for the first two weeks after that you can wash polish ect but its still best to not even drive teh car for a month

and rember scott not every one is going to take the care in poloshing that you would alls it takes is a little piec of dirt to ruin a nice paint job

9. Scottwax

Most body shops use a catalyst and reducers that ensure a pretty hard paint almost immediately and instead chose to wetsand out the orange peel.

I was detailing a BMW 530 that had the fender painted the day before and while I was detailing the rest of the car, the owner of the shop was wetsanding and buffing out the fender he had painted. By the time I finished the car, he had wetsanded so precisely, he matched the factory orange peel (which was minimal). He could have made it perfect, but then the repaint would have been obvious.

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i agree with you scott with some paints you can sand right away
    since we try to do more show cars we use a slowwww reducer its takes a while to cure we dont even touch the paint for a few days

with out knowig what kind of paint and prosses was used i would suggest he not touch it for a few weeks

the ornage peel has more to do with the reducer being used than teh wet sand the hardest part is knowign when to stop

at a body shop my cousin worked for they were washing a truck to give it to the owner and a pecie fo crap was in teh wash mit require a full repaint

then guesss waht it ahppened agin

talk about bad luck

when cars leave our shop we tell them rince only for the first week maybe a wash after two (most have no idea what a pollish is)

11. Scottwax

I guess he should talk to the body shop and see what they recommend. The owner of the body shop who fixed my car knows I detail for a living and knew I'd want to start on my car quickly.

12. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

after reading this, i realize that flynfrong sucks at spelling.

13. moss

moss Guest

Well since its the same shop that painted my car, they said I could polish it, just no waxing for a month. So polishing is looking a-ok

14. Scottwax

He is dyslexic. Seriously. :)

15. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

It doesn't have much to do with the discussion...

But I'd agree with Scottwax that a glaze would be better for the paint then leaving it sit in a garage for weeks. There's still dust in a garage. If you use a good wash with good lubricating ability, dust really won't be too much of a problem. :)

16. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

if the shop oked it go ahead as long as its not a slow cure paint it will be fine as every one but me said in this thread

yes im dyslexic it sucks

i wouldnt say a glaze is better than letting it set though

17. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

so should i use the polish on my car that was painted yesterday? of course this would be after it was buffed which it hasnt been yet. does it depend on swirl marks and orange peel or should i just leave it sit in my garage? the car wont be driven for awhile anyways as I have engine work to do.

It was painted with

PPG Primer

PPG epoxy based sealer

basecoat: PPG Deltron 2000. DBC-K

clearcoat: PPG Concept. DCU 2021. Urethane Clear

reducer: PPG DT 870

I dont know if that really means anything to you guys but yeah. Ill post pics next week :)

18. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

body shops wax the car before you even see the car :mamoru:

19. Priest Tango

dont be tooooooo specific

20. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

mid night i would wait at minumum two weeks your not going to gain any thing by doing it now

tango no they dont

you have a pretty high quality paint with a medium reducer that should give little to no orange peel if sprayed well

PICS?

21. k270

k270 Guest

Yeah right. When i got my car back from the shop I rinsed almost evry day. No beads formed on my car. They told me to not wax for 3 months and to use a light soap after 30 days. I just gave it an intense wax job after 7 months. It's had wax before, just not put on by hand. it was sprayed on. I just washed, clayed, polished, waxed. My car looks great. Showroom quality.

22. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

No they don't.

23. Priest Tango

when i apinted my moms car, as soon as it was ready to come out of the booth and get sanded down, the water beaded up more than if i waxed it really quick :eek3:

24. Scottwax

If they use Wizard's, they can. Their wax will protect the paint without sealing it. Most don't though.

You can use Meguiars #80 on new paint and not only will it polish it very nicely, it has a non sealing polymer that will give about a month of protection.

25. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

High surface tension. :)