Cleaned up my car this time

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by perry, Jun 7, 2004.

1. perry

perry burp

Wash
    Clay
    Rinse
    Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish
    Meguiars #82 Swirl Free Polish
    (Should I have used my S100 SEPC here?)
    Poorbooy's EX-P x 2 applied 24 hours apart

After washing and claying and rinsing, I could see some swirls and lots of itty bitty scratches. I couldn't get an picture of the swirls, but they were out in force.

Nice improvement afterwards IMHO, not as good as I'd like, still some tiny scratches. I dunno if I need a better buffer (just have a Craftsman.. ) to work the DACP, or if my paint is just screwed, or what. Swirls disappeared though. Car is a 96 w/ almost 100,000 miles and doesn't live in a garage... Maybe you can see the stuff I'm talking about in this picture..
    [​IMG]

Products I used on the paint
    [​IMG]

front fender
    [​IMG]

Ta da!
    [​IMG]

This is my second time using EX-P (see my other thread from last week), and I think I like it. Certainly easier to use than the Zaino (just not as picky about the process I guess) I've been using for the past couple years, still on the fence about which look I prefer :dunno: I'll probably put a coat of S100 wax on next weekend and see how that looks.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Nice job! Paint looks really wet!

A Craftsman buffer just isn't going to cut it like a Porter Cable which has a more powerful motor and a much wider selection of pads to choose from. A step up from that is a Cyclo, which is a dual head (they ocsillate in opposite directions) DA buffer. More aggressive polishing action but they run about $300 and you need two pads (4") instead of just one. Next is a rotary which has a steeper learning curve.

Anyway, a PC should be enough for the average enthusiast and will take care of most problems you run across.

A product you may wish to try instead of S100 SEC is Clearkote's Vanilla Moose. Works amazingly well with EX-P. Used it on a silver BMW Z8 today and the looks pretty much blew me away.

3. perry

perry burp

Yea, I know I need a PC :wtc: I see all the pictures posted on Autopia and I'm now lusting over one. Gotta get me a job and save up a little money :hs:

So I shoulda applied the SEC (or VM) between my SFP and EX-P? What should I do if I wanted to go back and apply it in a month or two? I'm guessing nothing, as the "C" of the SEC would clean off the EX-P? :confused:

4. posto

posto Guest

Very nice, man. I've always had great results using EX-P.

5. Scottwax

You use VM/SEC prior to EX-P. In a few months, as long as the paint still looks good, you can just put on some more EX-P.

6. perry

perry burp

Right, but would SEC/VM improve things if I wanted to use it? It would clean off the EX-P, correct? My car lives outside, so I imagine the paint won't "look good" in a couple months... I guess I'm wondering if I missed anything by skipping SEC and going straight from SFP to EX-P. Heh.

Say I top it with S100 next weekend, and keep up with the S100 monthly. What should I do when I want to add EX-P again?

Switching from Zaino is making me learn new stuff.. Glazes, sealants, and waxes, oh my! :eek4: Thanks for helping. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  7. Scottwax

If your car is outside all the time, then polishing prior to waxing would be fine if you use a light polish like SEC or Vanilla Moose. Only go stronger when you have to.