Clean4U's Detailing Adventure.....

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by justin30513, Jan 26, 2010.

1. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Well it's winter here in the north Georgia Mountains. I have plenty of business but 7+ days of below freezing temps along with several inches of snow, has slowed me up. Ok. I'm doing nothing! Then my phone rings. I can't get to it so a voice mail pops up. I listen. Then I smile!

A customer of mine resides up here for 5 months then back down to Marco Island Florida for the other 7 during winter. She asked if I would be interested in coming down and detailing out their 3 personal vehicles as well as another 6 more. I promptly called her back. She said that now, in 10 minutes, she had another one bringing the total to 10. I could stay at their house at no charge. I just had to get there and "there" was 12 hours and 730 miles away. I had to go.

Little did I know I would end up doing 17 total! A few didn't make it to my camera due to time restraints. 10 were full details and the other 7 were "mini" details. I used Meguiar's 105, 205, and #21 on all cars that required full details. D-151 was used on the mini's and topped with #21. All cleaners and tools were also Meguiar's. There is not going to be any elaborate write ups.....just pics.

It was a great time but man, I'm beat. I was able to make some money for my family and establish a great winter business for myself.

First off, the place I stayed at....

Truck looks little in front huh?
    [​IMG]

Me in the house's elevator.
    [​IMG]

This is the area of the house that was mine. The kitchen was stocked as well. I owe these people so much.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These were the climate controlled 2 car garages. One set on each side.
    [​IMG]

Now the cars in no particular order. Just eye candy. Heck, I didn't even ask the year of most of them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was a collection that consumed a lot of my time. Most were mini details. Actually more fun than doing fulls on them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are neighbors of the people I was staying with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another neighbor...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the reason for the trip. If the Bentley looks familiar, I posted it up a while back when they had up here in the mountains.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I actually got to drive this car for an hour.
    Here's the vid....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These last one were all bonus. Stayed an extra day to them since the customer has 4 more to do when I go back in April.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Damn Justin, that was well worth the round trip! Love the mid 60s Corvettes. :drool:

Nice set up they had for you to stay in too. :)

3. Dodge guy

Dodge guy Active Member

So what happens if you burn the paint on a car like the Bently or Aston? Not saying you do or would but shit does happen

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Damn, Justin! That's awesome, especially all the midyears you go to to work on.

I'm officially jealous :hsd:

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

*sigh* i love those bentleys. You can have all the rest, I'd take those.

and the aston

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I believe Justin did all those cars using a DA polisher and not a rotary. However, even with a rotary it isn't easy to go through the paint unless you aren't being careful or the paint is unusually thin.

Best thing to do is carry insurance so if for some reason you do mess up a car, it is covered.

7. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I carry a 1 million dollar liability policy if anything ever happens. I do only use a DA but hell, you can still drop it on the hood! It just becomes paint to me and sometimes I actually loose focus on what car I'm on. It actually helps to.

8. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

That's definitely some good advice, especially as you work on more rare/expensive vehicles. The more value the vehicle has, generally the more your nerves could start to get to you. You'll be scared to get aggressive enough to do your best work.

If you just see it as a quantity of paint to be polished, the only time you'll get nervous is if you can tell the paint is extremely soft and/or thin -- at which point having nerves hold you back is actually a good thing.

9. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

That's true.
    I was nervous on the California (red Ferrari) until I saw how crappy the paint was from the factory. Tons of orange peel and wet sanding marks. I counted 3 runs on the driver's door alone.

The steel nerves just come with time. I will mess up. I'm human. You just deal with it. I did see myself making mistakes when I got tired which is a no-no to me now.

10. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

What an awesome opportunity and some extended business for you. Great pics - loooove that Bentley! :cool: :bigthumb:

11. Juztang

Juztang www.obsessivedetail.com

Congrats Justin! Great job on the details. Looks like you had a great experience.

12. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

+1

Looks like a great opportunity provided by a customer who obviously appreciates your effort and the specialty nature of your service. :bowdown:

13. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

They actually told me they were proud to see someone work for the money instead of simply asking for it.......which they said they would have probably given me the money anyways. I love earning business but respect is priceless to me.