Clean & Jerk

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Satellite, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satellite

Satellite Guest

Seems to me to be the real King of Lifts. Does anyone here actually do this on a regular basis? I want to add it in to one of my lifting days.

Anyone have any suggestions? Form or what day to add it in?

2. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

"The deadlift is more functional in that it’s very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy shit up off the ground. " - Mark Rippetoe

deadlift wins

3. Satellite

Satellite Guest

Lifting heavy shit off the ground, Then over your head seems better.

4. TZ

TZ Banned

not sure if performing the olympic lifts are such a great idea unless you have a coach or at least someone to guide your training.

i used to do push presses and would attempt push jerks out of a rack, but that's about it. have done ugly cleans in the past, just messing around..

5. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

they are hard unless you have a good oly lift trainer with you. oly lifts are a bunch of mini movements combined that you have to work on individually.

6. Spartan

Spartan OT Supporter

find a coach. olympic lifts are pretty hard to self-teach

7. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

8. deznutz

deznutz New Member

all about technique

I don't do them because they have little to no carryover for what I train for.

9. Juan Valdez

Juan Valdez Finest Cofee in the world

Just jump instead​

10. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

I do hang cleans from time to time but oly lifts are to much of a liability.

11. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

Good read! Interesting.

12. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

My view is that cleans and jerks especially can be very useful for athletes. I do not buy into the argument of they are too complex and time consuming to teach to athletes. It is all about context--if it is a camp setting, there is no point. The athletes are there for a few weeks at most and then they are gone. If they are an overhead athlete--pitcher, swimmer, some throwers, quarter back--it is a bad idea.

BUT if you are going to spend a few years with the athlete, as either a high school or collegiate level strength coach, they can be valuable tools, assuming you are proficient in teaching your athletes how to perform the lifts. If you teaching and reinforcing your kids/athletes poor technique and they get hurt, it is not the lift's fault, it yours--you're a fucking idiot. I remember reading about the USC RB who eat a barbell after losing a bench due to thumbless grip--is the bench now dangerous? No, the coach is fucking idiot for not supervising his athletes in the weight room. If your kid blows a disk during deadlifts, are deadlifts now dangerous? No you are fucking idiot for not teaching and enforcing proper technique.

What about the three guys with wrist injuries due to hang cleans? Are hang cleans now dangerous? No, the coach is a fucking dumbass. The kids were probably forced to use straps (fucking bad idea for most people) and doing them for high reps. Idiocy does not begin to describe it. I trained the lifts for a few years, had a coach, spent a lot of time around a lot of different lifters of various skill and age. NEVER have I heard of a someone rupturing their disk because of the catch of a clean. Ever.

Also, you are teaching athletes. They are coordinated to begin with. A power clean isn't really that hard to learn to do. Nether are jerks. If you can't rest a barbell on your shoulders because your are inflexible, then get flexible. It is something everyone should be able to do unless you are giant fat ass.

/rant

13. Pepe

Pepe New Member

did a lot of these when i played football in college. you need to practice form above all with light weight (or even just the bar), and then move up accordingly. they are great workouts but if you don't know what the fuck you are doing then you could definitely get hurt.

14. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

I would do them a lot more if my gym had fucking bumper plates :mad:

15. DaFreak963

DaFreak963 New Member

train nothing but oly lifting 3 times a week, snach c& j and all the variation lifts. If you have never done them before I would recommend getting a coach. However, they are not that hard to learn and the power and explosiveness you gain will carry over into everything else you do. If you want to try by yourself try them from the hang first.

hang power clean
    clean dead lift and shrug
    push press
    push jerk

try doing that for a work out and see how it feels

16. Aspirin

Aspirin OT Supporter

:werd: except I do them erry DL day. Traps sore like whoa. good shit.

my form is probably brutal but I dont go too heavy

17. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I used to do them in addition to hang cleans. Unfortunately, I was taught all my Oly lifts from a football coach who really didn't know what he was doing. Thus, I think my form is not very good. Not bad, but certainly not good.

Hang cleans hurt my shoulder now :wtc:

18. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

:werd: Only the CF gyms here have them.

19. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

Also, at a NSCA seminar I attended they mentioned you build explosiveness best by not using weight over 60% of max with low reps.

20. Spartan

Spartan OT Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.