Claybar Question

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Swedish Boost, May 24, 2006.

1. Swedish Boost

Swedish Boost New Member

I recently got some rust fixed on my car. When they repainted it they sprayed over a much larger area than the actual repair to blend the old and new paint. Claybar isn't going to take this extra paint off is it since it's really not overspray is it?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

It may have to be compounded off. Why haven't you insisted the body shop remove it?

I've found Clearkote's Compound and a burgandy Meguiars cutting pad eats right though that clearcoat overspray.

3. Swedish Boost

Swedish Boost New Member

Sorry I don't know how to describe my question. There isn't overspray on the car, just a second layer of paint they sprayed on. Instead of just hitting the repair itself with paint they painted a square foot around it. Now I can't see the where the new paint stops. I know its there cause I saw the car in primer. The claybar won't take this paint off will it, am I just being paranoid?

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Your best bet would be to wait untill the paint has had time to sufficiently cure before doing anything to it.

Best to contact the auto body shop and ask them how long is best to wait before doing any polishing, or paint work to the car.

The likely hood of the clay actually removing the blended area are very slim. However teh chance of heavily maring it, smudging it, or otherwise damaging it beyond the point of which simple details can fix it, is very likely.

Once the area has cured, and breathed out a sufficient amount of time, you can simply treat it like the rest of the paint on your car with no worries at all.

Like i said, best to call teh body shop, and ask when you can go about polishing the paint.

5. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Holy crap!! I would think that would cut through just about anything!