Claybar: is this normal?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Ballast, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

Okay, I finally tried clay on the Grand Prix... and I have a quick question.

I'm using Meguiar's Quick Clay, because I'd rather it than Mothers, and those are the only two locally available. I have only done the hood so far (as a test). I hosed a section down with the QD and then when at it with the clay. I noticed the clay "stuck" to it in a couple of places and left residue. This didn't happen when I hit the hood with more QD as I was moving it.

This residue would only come off with mother's step 1 paint cleaner. Is that normal, or should I be able to pick it back up with the clay? What would you guys use to remove it? Just let the polish remove it?

Next, I will have to say that I'm truly amazed. I didn't think that clay was as good as people said. It just sounded too good to be true. But my paint was like glass when I was done (cept for the scratch, and a couple of stone chips).

I then hit the hood with Meg's #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 on my Simoniz 10" polisher. Wiped that off and I could hear my paint squeek! :eek:

Followed that up with a round of Meg's #7 Show Car Glaze, by hand. And I wasn't too happy with the residue it left on my paint. I could not get it off. It just smeared. I know it says to apply "sparingly", so maybe I had a bit too much on it.

Then I did a round of S100 Shine Enhancing Polish. It worked in really well, and removed the excess residue from #7.

And finally topped it off with 2 coats of S100 Paste Wax. I was amazed. It's totally different than when I used the first 2 steps from Mothers and finished it with the S100 Paste Wax.

I'm going to do the rest of the car tomorrow night after work. I just didn't have time tonight. It's dark already, so tomorrow morning I'll get pics of how diff the hood looks than the rest of the car.

I want to thank everyone in this forum who has ever given me any advice. :bigthumb:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Use more QD if the clay is sticking but no problem using #9 to remove any clay that sticks. #7 is a great product, but I prefer #3 Machine Glaze or #81 Hand Polish. Same wet look but they come off more easily.

3. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

is the Meguiars Clay pretty aggressive on specs of road grime? =\ on stuff that wouldn't come off with a DA and DACP?

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Meguiars has two new pro clays, blue and red. The red bar is more aggressive so that may work.

5. Ballast

Well, i saw my car in the sunlight today before the thunderstorm hit. That workout on the hood took out about 60-70% of the swirls. Scratch is still there though. But my hood feels like someone washed it with salad oil. Simply amazing!

Did the rest of the car tonight. Can't post pics though, my computer seems to be dead from the storm... have to post this from the office :(

6. KMAzz

KMAzz OT Supporter

take a bucket fill it with soap and water and use that as a lubracant for the clay bar. It is only sticking because the section doesnt have enought lubracant. If you keep it soapy and wet it will glide over the paint nice and easy.

7. Ballast

i understood that much. i was wondering if it's normal to not be able to pick it back up with the rest of the clay.

8. KMAzz

KMAzz OT Supporter

It can get pretty hard. But claying over the clay should pick it up.