Classic car detailing questions

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by gandhibrokemyskates, May 18, 2005.

1. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

I've never detailed a classic car. Evar. I got a call today and the guy needs 2 cars done and 2 bikes. I ask what cars they were and one was a 1956 Chevy Bel-Air and a 1957 Chevy SUV/Truck.

I'd like to use my PC on them but I'm afraid how much dead paint will be on the pads when I get done. Please tell me it will be okay to use the DACP with the cutting pad, and Speed Glaze with the polishing pad :noes:

Scott, I was searching on Autopia, and one of the threads that came up was yours about a 1957 Chevy. I'm hoping this detail turns out badass since the Bel-Air is going to be used in a wedding :noes: :run:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I highly doubt either has the original paint and even if it does, you shouldn't have any problems using the PC. I once did a 1958 Edsel that had the original paint back in the mid 90s. Seemed at least as hard as the paint on newer cars but obviously no clear coat.

Start with #80 first and see if that gets you the results you want.

3. gandhibrokemyskates

sweet. hopefully everythingg goes smooth. holla.

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  4. gandhibrokemyskates

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll be getting some more after of the classic cars after the dudes wedding. I had to use his camera to take pics since i forgot my cam :(

5. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Get a magnifying glass and look at the paint closely after wash & clay, always helps to take before of after shots of pic's all around. Old paint that's oxidized could be real thick then removed defects will show up, pic's prove you are not the cause, pic's applies to any cars really.

Every old car is different, some have more nick-knacks and body curves when Dolly Pardon and if that's the case take your handle off your PC if you have it on. Be careful of plastic, rubber might be old and bridal. Today's chemicals might to strong for old cars, test before applying. Myself doing old cars I like natural looking finishes I'm 49 years old, old cars brings back good memories of the 60's free love, cheap gas and less gov.

Say post some Pic's afterwards
    :drool: :bcr: )

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Nice job on the bike! I did a Dyna-glide yesterday. Pretty cool doing bikes because you can sit on your ass to work!