civic with h22a

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ghettoheisman, Jun 6, 2004.

1. ghettoheisman

ghettoheisman Awd6Speed2.7twinturboA6 OT Supporter

Buddy wants to put an h22 in a 93-97 civic.. any help/ideas and also what sort of et's should he expect with following mods...

h22 motor
    full catback exhaust system
    headers
    intake

2. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

You'll have a marginally faster Civic. You'll also find faster ETs with a RWD car thats not a Honda. Further, you come here with such a question? Dude, you do know there are many many Honda boards that have covered this already and you answer is just a click and search away.

3. Sane 007

Sane 007 Active Member

try honda-tech.com
    tel him to get a K20 instead

4. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 New Member

5. Kyoso

Kyoso New Member

Your friend will benifit nearly as much from a B18C(*) swap and will keep most of the handling charictaristics in check. The H22 is considerably heavier and causes the car to be somewhat unstable in the corners under breaking. It is a fun ass swap otherwise. The K20 swap is just becoming possible as the engine is disigned totally different and rotates the oposite way (meaning the tranny is on the other side). It is quite espensive at this point.

6. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

i almost did a h22 swap in my teg. im glad i didnt.

mainly because it would have been a pain to work on if things went wrong.

i would prolly get a b20 or a k24 motor over an h22.

h22 is a pain in my opinion

7. Slash

Slash New Member

My vote goes towards the B20 also.. It just has a better reputation in the relibility department, has more aftermarket support, and is alittle easier to fit in there :)

8. el mayo

el mayo mmmm......butterface...

:werd: The engine's a tad bit too heavy for that car. It's ideal on accords since it goes in via direct bolt on, and because of the better weight distribution due to an appropriately even ratio. My friend did that to his hx hatch a while back and he's mainly had problems with rightward cornering, the h22a simple pushes itself too far out, especially on a light body a fraction of what the prelude weighs...use common sense. Go with a better alternative.

9. boyripn

boyripn Guest

He should be use B16a a good than for civic.

10. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

The H22 will be much more torquey than a puny little B16, will haul ass and put him around the mid 13 second 1/4 time. The handling will be fine, but the suspension should be upgraded. The H-motors only weigh about 60 lb's more than a B-series motor, so handling won't suffer as much as people make it out to be.

The car will eat more gas than you're accustomed to, but that should be expected w/ more horsepower.

I would tell him to do the H22 swap. It is a very powerful motor, fun to drive, and much cheaper than the other alternatives. Take the money saved and build it some more.

And the H22 is incredibly reliable, much more so than I've heard from any B-motor.

11. miahmouse

miahmouse crash test dummy

honda-tech will have everything he would ever want to know about the swap. The biggest problem with it I'd say is the axles/binding issues. The only reliability issue with the h22's is the synchro's in the newer ones and the timing belt tensioner...

Not the most simple swap and will end up costing almost as much as a B18c1 but you can get nearly as much power as a k20 with a little tweaking...

h22swap into eg/ek info

12. boyripn

boyripn Guest

Have you a civic pic?

13. 900stunna

900stunna Guest

His ET at the end of the track will most likely not even show a number but read "slow as fuck" or "Honda = Shit."

14. boyripn

boyripn Guest

b16a it's enough for civic.H22a big than over.It's uneccessary!

15. MykolJ

MykolJ Guest