City of Heroes / City of Villains

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by Vistrix, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Vistrix

Vistrix So Say We All

Anyone play this? I recently started playing CoV again to see what they've added. The game is still pretty fun & looks good (think its had a graphics update).

Its not for everyone though, its not a typical mmorpg.

If anyone is interested in playing, PM me your email addy and ill send you a download link & a 10 day trial CD key for either game (must pick one of them).

www.cityofheroes.com
    www.cityofvillains.com

http://www.cityofheroes.com/gallery/screenshots.html
    http://www.cityofvillains.com/gallery/screenshots.html

2. the raging enigma

the raging enigma If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidenc

I played City of heroes when it first came out, maybe got up to level 20, then I quit playing. I did log on and take a couple of screenshots when everyone was "mourning" around the big statue when Christopher Reeve died.

3. captainstan

captainstan this is horse cock in tiny mouth

ive actually been pretty interested to know if that game is any good
    is there alot of people that play it?

4. Vistrix

Vistrix So Say We All

Still a decent amount of players on the EU servers, not sure about the US ones.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I bought the games about a year ago during one of my WOW breaks and I gotta say, it sux but it's still ok. lol WTH does that mean you ask?? Well....

Here's the thing....I hate obvious things in games. things that have no other purpose than to slow down your progression and keep you paying to play. They don't even do a good job of hiding these either.

Case in point: After you progress through some missions, you'll be told to seek out this other person in this other zone that may have some work....because you contact has heard...somehow...that they have work. So you go there and that person says, "why yes, I have work. Return to the zone you just left and kill 20 XXX and return to me." Replace XXX with the name of some guys, thugs, baddies, w/e.

Now I have to go all the way back, kill those guys then run all the way back just to get some little item that noone wants and I already have 1000000 of. Meanwhile there's no phone I can pick up and just end my mission....hey...how about a fed ex of that crap thing you wanna give me??? Or better yet, shove it up your ass and give me the next mission.

Noooo....I've got to meet him face to face.

Then othertimes, you will get a phone call but nono....not fair finishing up a mission with a phone call back to the guy.

This is a regular occurence and it's annoying and obvious as hell.

Another thing....all the bad guys look the same....only some tiny name floating above their heads changes.

You know...I had high hopes for these games but I was soo turned off by the gameplay that I didn't even make it through my free 1 month trial. After 2 weeks I uninstalled out of extreme boredom.

These games sux.

6. Vistrix

Vistrix So Say We All

This concept is in every single successful mmorpg to date. WoW has the EXACT same concept with quests. Kill xx amount of monsters, return to me once you have done this / with xx amount of items. Infact WoW is probably the most famous mmorpg for this concept.

It cant be helped too much, although they could add more variety to the missions.

7. Coottie

No it's different because of how it implemented in COH. I mean sure at it's most basic level, run here kill this is in the game....but in COH quest locations and quest givers are usually seperated by a lot of travel. Sure there are similar quests in WOW but in COH it's like 3/4 of every quest is like this.

I've played both games and they have different mechanics. Yes it is in WOW but it's no where near as bad as it is in COH.
    It can totally be helped, it's simply the result of lazy development and the desire to stretch out game play. WOW has soo many other options if you don't want to participate in this mechanic.....however in COH there is NOTHING else.

8. DevlynSyde

DevlynSyde New Member

I played this ages ago.. but NOTHING else? You can grind up levels in CoH, just like you can in WoW. You can ignore certain missions, just like as in WoW. You can utilize another contact, there are tons of other ways to do it.

9. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

:rofl:

10. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

Wrong.

I started a new Hero yesterday and I'm halfway to level 11. I did missions for the first contact, and then I joined a Sewer Team. One run thru the Sewers with a good team and you'll gain at least 3 levels in about an hour. As soon as I got to King's Row and picked up a police radio, I haven't done any other missions for any other contacts.

I listen to the radio, I pick one of 3 missions, and I complete it. After doing this three times, the radio says to go see the detective who gave it to me. So I talk to him and he gives me a Safeguard mission. The Safeguard mission usually gets me about half a level, and I can solo it.

11. ionicwings

ionicwings Active Member

I did, CoH. This is the perfect game for me. But obviously wont have me playing til I get a credit card (remember? im a noav hehe). But this is the first game that I will ever use my credit card on if I get one.

It's kinda repepetitive but I dont care. I love being a super hero lol.

12. Coottie

haha I'm thinking about reinstalling COH for a change of pace. There really aren't many games like it on the market but I just get pissed at obvious time sinks....never knew about the police radio. I'll hafta check that out.

13. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

its kind of unique and its fun designing your heroes and their superpowers, so many combinations its crazy. The only thing i didnt like was that theres no gear to collect or anything like that

14. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

They wanted to get away from that because of how much time people used to sink into camping mobs in EQ. Chasing and upgrading equipment is a pain in the ass to me, so CoH is great.

They did add Inventions a couple weeks ago. You can collect salvage and recipes dropped by mobs and then turn them into special enhancements for your powers. There's a consignment house in almost every zone now too, so you can buy/sell salvage and recipes.

http://paragonwiki.com/Invention_System

15. gnat

gnat New Member

FUCK YOU, I used to play the ever living SHIT out of this game... goddamnit

16. giz

giz Active Member

bump. I have 6 lvl 50s on Infinity. @greygizmo if anybody is interested

17. c.a

c.a New Member

I've never played this game, but i've always wanted to.

what was it's downfall? It seems like a really fun concept. Does it just get old quick or something?

18. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

extremely repetitious, cant use your travel powers to reach a different zone (had to hop on a fucking subway for Christ sakes) and the cities looked way too clean for thousands of gangs running wild.

with that said, I too played the ever loving shit out of this game