Cisco PIX login error... java related?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Hey all... My office has a Cisco PIX 501 firewall and I am having some troubles with it. Being a noob to Cisco, i use the PDM interface to get most things done on there... and not the command line stuff.

When i go to log in, the browser returns this java error in the bottom status bar.

I have tried googling that... but since its a rather lengthy error, it returned a mishmash of crap i couldnt wade thru. I'm hoping some of you might know wtf is going on.

So far Cisco.com is being a POS cuz it wont let me log on, and all their good tool are behind the login.

Thanks in advance.

2. caneyebus

caneyebus New Member

R u running the latest version of java, and what is the IOS ver on the firewall. Sometimes the http interface on those has issues with new java, or newer browsers. I am having a similar problem with one of my 827 dsl routers. You may want to try it with an older pc with an old browser.

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I'm testing a possible solution currently... i'll report back shortly.

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Ok, in case this is useful to you, or anyone else....

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=610328&start=0

Seems there is a bug in most of the new versions of java that prevent it working correctly with alot of Cisco apps... as well as some other things. The last good version was jre-1_5_0_01-windows-i586-p.exe and can be found at

jre-1_5_0_01-windows-i586-p.exe

Most of this is covered in the second to last post in that thread i linked to.

...now i just need to remember how to do things in my PDM again... lol.

5. caneyebus

caneyebus New Member

:) give it a shot. glad you gave me that link, i havent had time to look up the solution to my prob, you may have just fixed it for me. thanks. good luck with that pix, i hate ours.

6. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Yea... my pix has been a royal pain in the ass... but i jsut assumed it was because i had no idea what i was doing. lol. Good luck with you problem... I do hope that the solution I found works for you as well.

btw, good job on getting an av... that'll keep alot of people off of your back if you ever venture into the main forum. :cool:

7. caneyebus

caneyebus New Member

yea, i noticed that. :bigok:

8. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

yea you have to use a certain version of java

after tryin to find it for hours i gave up and just used the CLI and now have a very good grasp on all the commands

CLI is the way to go!

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

My problem with trying to learn CLI is that I dont use it on a steady enough basis to actually learn it. I pretty much only ever look at it when there's a problem. I do pick up things here and there when i'm rooting around though.

10. caneyebus

caneyebus New Member

CLI is best, but not the easiest by far. u can also use cisco's config maker if you have a switch or a router that it is compatable with.