Cisco Certification

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bigslick, Oct 2, 2009.

1. bigslick

bigslick New Member

When starting a certification path, should I begin with the CCENT or CCNA? TIA. Also for those in the field, how's the current demand environment looking?

2. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

The CCENT is a great introduction to Networking/Cisco, but it's still relatively new and not recognized much in the industry. Don't get the CCENT and expect job offers or anything. The CCNA is widely recognized, but it's still entry level and you'll likely be doing NOC support type positions, but that's where most start.

The demand for networking people is still there, it depends on the area you're looking at.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

CCENT is just ICND1........... CCNA is ICND1 and ICND2.

if you want CCNA, you can opt to take the CCENT test after ICND1 and get the CCENT certificate, or skip it and keep going toward CCNA.

you have to take ICND1 either way so might was well take the test when you finish ICND1.

4. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

wat?

ICND1 isn't a requirement for the CCNA, you can take the composite 640-802 (IIRC) and be CCNA certed without getting the CCENT. Or you can do ICND1 for the CCENT and ICND2 to complete the CCNA.

5. bigslick

bigslick New Member

I read the other thread concerning MCSE and CCNA certs. Is it a better idea to focus on training videos such as CBTnuggets and TrainSignal instead of reading books?

6. 7960

7960 New Member

you know the composite is the sum of ICND1 and ICND2, right?

so my suggestion was, since he's got to do the study for ICND1 anyway, he might as well take the CCENT exam when he's done.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

this completely depends on how you prefer to learn.

I liked reading a little and then doing hands-on, so I used a cisco press book and boson's netsim until I was comfortable. then I used our lab to re-create labs and play.

8. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Yes, I'm aware of that.

I think this:

"you have to take ICND1 either way"

is what confused me. I guess you're talking about taking a class or something? I assumed the word "take" meant taking a test.

And yes, I agree, I did the two test route because there was no reason not to. My only advice is not to put too much stock in the CCENT certification as it really doesn't mean much.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

ok, we might have been talking 2 different things.

there's an ICND1 class, and an ICND1 test. he can skip the class, but he still has to learn the entirety of it for the CCNA composite, so he might as well take the ICND1 test to verify (to himself, if nobody else) he really knows the ICND1 course material.

and in passing the ICND1 test, he gets CCENT cert.

it doesn't carry much weight when compared to other certs, but it's better than no cert :hs: