CIS Degree

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blizzard, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Blizzard

Blizzard needs to robusto

:wavey:

I am starting college tomorrow and I think I want to take the BBA in CIS (Computer Informations Systems). I plan to become a network engineer, hopefully to go for the rare choice of both linux and windows administration.

I already have good knowledge in both systems, I admin a few websites e.t.c

Does CIS differ much from Computer Science? Would it effect my career in anyway?

My college is in the top 50 business schools (Baruch), and CIS is under the business school in our college, so that should help some.

Anyone here a CIS major and would like to share some of there life?

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

CIS is WAY different then CS.

CIS is almost all hands on. I'm just completing my CIS degree (specalizing in software development, im 6 classes shy of my degree). Most CIS students will also piggy back business courses and will sit into managment positions where CS degree people will work for them.

Almost all CIS degree people I know are working on an MBA so they can get higher into managment.

3. Blizzard

How is the pay and how hard is the field?

4. MP

MP New Member

I'm in CiS. I thought it would be less programming....I was wrong :wtc:

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I have my degree in CIT. Which is practically the same thing. I thought there would be more programming... I was wrong. :hs:

6. Blizzard

so is a CIS a wrong degree for a network engineer/system admin?

Thing is, this college does not have a CS field, and if i would transfer out, that would mean going to a less rating college

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

It seems to me that CIS would be exactly the degree for a sysadmin. You focus more on implementation of systems and networks, rather than all the theory, math and programming that we CS folk do. Comp sci doesn't really prepare you at all to be a sysadmin.

That said, we don'e have a CIS degree here, so I'm sort of speculating as to what it entails.

8. Blizzard

That is what I am thinking, we do have to take c++ 1 and 2 though, and thats pretty much all with programming. bunch of design classes like DB, systems, e.t.c

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

CIS delves deep into System Administration and Database Administration/Engineering.

I think it will be good for you.

10. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

our CIS degree has 3 specalties that you can work for or just a general spec.

1) Software Design (Mine)
    2) Network Admin (CCNP & Pix Firewalls, etc)
    3) Security (Theory, Firewalls, Secure Programming, Linux/UNIX Administration)

11. Blizzard

:werd: thanks

12. rogu3

rogu3 New Member

I also have a BS in CIS here and that was my goal to become a Net Admin / Engineer.
    We definitely covered alot of Database Admin stuff and there was a TON of programming. From .NET to Java to C++. I think it just gave more of a broader scope and less on a specific focus of like the algorithms of processes.

Hang in there though it is worth it. They may be different but it will get you to where you want to go. I finally became a Network Admin on my way to a Network Engineer and my company really appreciated my schooling, more then my certs which they said they will provide for me anyways.

So just keep your nose to the grind stone and know you made a great choice.

13. Blizzard

Thanks for the advice,

My plan is to get a paid internship (I have previous job exp in cs field) while I attend college (obv something related to administration).

once I finish I plan to load up on the regular certs as well

:hug:

14. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I have a degree in MIS. I'm sorry I got it. It had no practical knowledge that I didn't already know. People graduate with this degree without ever having built their own computer, or knowing how to fix one. Hand them a power supply and they look at you stupid.

Entire semester devoted to how great ERP systems are and who uses them.

Never discussed the technical requirements, implementation, or anything. Just case studies, saying "HP uses brand x and it's great"

One hardware class, Buncha idiots trying to figure out how to install ram and remove hard drives.

CCNA class = I learned the OSI layer model, and how to make a patch cable. Rollover and crossover too - yet, no useful knowledge on best practices for network topology or NAT or anything like that.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  15. spoofy

spoofy Chemically Enhanced

true story. I have no degree (although I am working on one)... I interview people quite often for tech jobs.. more often then not we hire people without a degree. To give you can idea.. one guy had a masters in CS... but a 22 year old kid won the job over him.

16. moron101

moron101 New Member

I'm a senior CIS major, I would have to say that my on the job experiences have been more valuable to me that all the theoretical class-room work that I have done. That beeing said, I do like learning new programming languages and learning them in school is sometimes easier. Still, it is real world experience and skills that will determine how far you can go. I am working on improving my PHP, mySQL, Linux, and UNIX skills to tailor my resume for something that is interesting and pays decently. I don't want to end up working in an entirely microsoft VB anything office, would rather do consulting for the rest of my days.

17. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

shoulda learned a bit more than that from CCNA training (was this only a class, or did you actualy pick up the cert as well?)

your school sounds pretty retarded, unless most mis majors are handled this way.