circuts plotting program?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Roadkill_ak_47, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Roadkill_ak_47

Roadkill_ak_47 Support your local Pirate

any one know of a good electronics program to plot out circuts?

suggestions would be nice

:wiggle:

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yep, it's called Multisim and it's pimp!! I used it in my digital electronics class, along with another program that supports VHDL but I liked Multisim more. If you are in school, I think there are some very reasonable educational packages available.

I should warn you that this is a professional software package and it does have a learning curve...for me it was somewhat challenging because I'm a CS major. THe EE majors had an easier time due to them taking additional electronics courses.

Anyways, here's the link...hope it helps.
    http://www.electronicsworkbench.com/products/proprod_ms.html

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

ORCAD is another one if you plan on laying the circuit out on a PCB.

If not MS Visio will do the job just fine and is easy to learn.

4. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

yeah it depends if you want to actually simulate a circuit to know voltages and currents then youll want something like multisim but if you just want to draw a PCB layout orCAD is definitely nice if you have access to it since it can do alot of trace optimization and also gives you files that can be used to order the PCB or used by the milling machines. but if you want something quick and dirty visio is pretty accessible.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Forgot all about visio! lol

TO the OP, if you are at the University level then most have an acedemic alliance with MS set up...called MSDN-AA or something similar. I signed up for this and got the latest version of Visio for lik $5 and it's 100% legal copy. However, I can't use it for commercial purposes but I can use it for all the personal stuff I want and I can even keep using it after I graduate.

So, check with your department head and/or the university IT department to see if your school has this.