Cingular Web phone

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by snytr3k, Jun 1, 2005.

1. snytr3k

snytr3k : w i g g l e :

can anyone help me decide which phone to get, i'm looking for a full featured web browser, do the blackberry models offer this? Also hows the web on the razr?

2. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Audiovox SMT5600. runs windows mobile.
    or if you want a flip, the mpx220 but good luck finding one in a store :hs:
    I love my mpx

Razr is WAP only so no full web pages. Blackberrys just suck interface-wise.

3. snytr3k

thx for the info.

4. snytr3k

what about the Nokia 6620? hows the web on that?

5. BlackWRX02

decent, but the mpx or the audoivox have a higher resolution display so things look much better. I used the 6620 but switched over to the mpx220 and have NO regrets. My favorite phone of all time (and i do Cingular phones for a living :o )

6. snytr3k

is it possible to get the mpx through cingular anymore?

7. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

why is cingular so much more expensive than the other companies, by like $10-15 a month? I love their choice of phones, but they are just too expensive.

8. snytr3k

i dunno they seem to have a decent number of hidden fee's too =/

9. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

I'm looking for a new cell, and i love cingular's Razr, i want the v8 that's comming out, but i've herd such bad stuff about them with hidden charges and stuff...

I'm leaning towards verizon jus cuz you can sign a one yr contract, which i like much more! its only 15 bux more (one time fee, for one yr).. but the only phone i think is descent from verizon is the moto v710!

I just want a phone to come out that amazes me!

10. BlackWRX02

:rofl: exactly what "hidden" charges are you talking about?
    there are no hidden charges, provided you have a good sales rep that tells you exactly what to expect from your bill.

It should go like this:
    New activation requires $36 act. fee, Family Talk lines require only $18 act fee per line
    Your first bill will show prorated charges. This is because Cingular bills in advance. You can expect your full monthly charge plus the prorated amount on your first bill along with your activation fee. Your first bill is normally your highest, provided you do not go over your minute.

If you're upgrading, there is an $18 upgrade fee, if you change plans at that time expect a prorated amount on your next bill if it differs in price from your current plan.

You have standard cost recovery fee, 911 taxes, state, local and federal taxes. The cost recovery fee is like $1.00. If you're buying a $200 phone, why are you bitching about a $1.00 fee :uh:

You can sign a one year with cingular and not pay a $15 fee for it with Cingular.

Would love to hear more about these hidden fees, i've never had a customer complain about "hidden fees"

11. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

Hey black, you work for cingular right? I'm gonna be switching over to them in a few months, and I want the Nokia 6230, is taht still gonna be available for a little while?

12. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

Hey Black-

I never personally experianced these hidden fee's, sorry if that's the message came across, i've been trying to get some peoples oppinions, and thas what i herd so far! So, it is possible to sign only a one yr contract with cingular? I didn't understand that part of ure post.. its a $15 one-time fee? The Sony Ericsson S710 is 200 now rite, with some 100 rebate?

What is the cost-recovery fee? (What's the purpose of this?) Does cingular have extra phone insurance or w.e.?

13. BlackWRX02

No worries, I just have never had anyone tell me they have had hidden fees, or know anyone thats ever said that.

Yeah, you can sign a one yr contract. I was saying it doesn't cost $15 like it does at verizon i guess :dunno:
    the diffence in the contracts is going to be the cost of the phone. You pay usually around $50 more for the phone with a 1yr contract. All fees are the same.

Don't waste your time with the s710. I used it for a day and couldn't wait to give it back to the owner. The interface is horrible, the way it opens is the most inconvienent thing ever, and there is no web decent browser, it only does WAP. In my store, its still $419. I wouldn't give $20 for it, honestly.

You can get insurance, depending on the model. No PDAs, blackberrys, or the RAZR can be insured, so don't let someone sell you ins. on them. its $3.99/mo and a $50 deductable if you make a claim. 2 claims in a year and you get dropped once you file your second claim for a peroid of one year.

14. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

Hey Black-

Nice! I'm glad you can only sign a one year contract, personally i don't mind paying 50 bux more now but knowing i can get a new phone in a year, plus not having to deal with contracts, idk that's just the way i look at it!!

That kind of sucks that the Razr isn't insurable; is this cuz it beraks alot, or because cingular doesn't want alota false claims?

I'm pretty sure i'm going to get cingular.. its mostly b/t cingular vs. verizon (only reason i'm thinking verizon, is cuz in my area, chicago,IL. verizon has the most coverage).. but i'm going to wait a month or two, hoping that some better phones come out in the summer with some maybe, better plans!

15. BlackWRX02

Well plans just changed so they will be the same for quite a while I would assume. I haven't heard of anything new on the way, but who knows. Maybe some nokia flips available soon :x:

As for the insurance on the razr....
    Cingular (like most carriers) does not do its own insurance. its contracted out to lock/line insurance. They are the ones to determine which phones will and will not be insured. Its not so much because the RAZR breaks, but because of 2 things from what I"ve heard.
    1. Its initial value when it was released was over $600.
    2. Its considered a special edition phone because its limited to Cingular. Just like you can't insure an aston martin version of the v600, a bmw v60, or any other special edition phone

you also can't get insurance on any smartphone or PDA phone

16. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

I have a treo and I love it, good for browsing.

But if you want a REALLY good phone to browse with, look at the Siemens SX66 PocketPC Phone. Runs on Windows Mobile, big 3.5" screen, slide out keyboard, bluetooth, wifi 802.11b. But its on the larger size. I have the SMT5600. The MPx220 has a smaller screen (SMT-2.2" and MPx - 2") so webbrowsing is a PAIN IN THE ASS on such a small screen. just a FYI.

17. BlackWRX02

i'll second the siemens sx66, all except for the bluetooth. Its pretty poor quality, hopefully they will release a new ROM to fix the issues with it.

I have no probs browsing on the mpx, and screen size between that and the smt is amost the same, not a noticable difference unless side by side. :)

18. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

Hey Black-

Sorry for all the questions; but i have one last one (i think atleast..lol). I tried to find out how rollover exactly works. The guy explained it to be that the minutes keep on rolling over for 12 months, and after that they get taken away... He said that they take it away one month by month. I don't get it...lol! If i had 500 Rollover minutes on my 12th month, and on my 13th month had an additional 50 rollover minutes..how many minutes would i have on my 14th month?

Oh yah, haha, i knew i'd have more question... If i buy the 1000 family rollover, but decide its way to much and lower to 500 (or the one below 1000)..do i have to renew my contract?

19. BlackWRX02

Rollover is a sliding 1 year scale basically.
    Say you roll over 50 mins on your first full month (don't get roll over on the prorated month). That 50 mins is good for one year, then only that 50 expires on the 13th month, you still have months 2-13. If they are used, the are used on a first-in, first-out basis, so your 50 mins from month one come out before the 200 mins you rolled over 3 months later. There is no one point where everything expires or you lose them all, unless you change to a plan that does not have rollover (if we even have those anymore)

You can change your rate plan with no contract extension as long as you do not change to a promotional rate plan. You must stay within the family of plans you are on. If you changed to say the 1000min promo 39.99 plan if its offered again you would need to sign a 1yr extension. Most reps will just do it for you w/o making you sign though...I know I do with the exception of that 39.99 1000 min plan