Cingular sucks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by donniethevet, Nov 4, 2006.

1. donniethevet

donniethevet New Member

I went into cingular the other day because my mom's name is on my bills (she origionally got my phone for me as a gift) and i wanted to put it all in my name. Well, I waited for about an hour and the girl told me that I couldnt do that at the store and I had to call them. So I get on the phone and they say it is $18, OK no big deal I can handle that. Then they say they do a credit check, I have none because i have always just payed cash for everything. Since I have no credit it is going to cost $518 just to take my moms name off of my bills. I have paid my bill every month for 5 years and they want to charge me just to take my moms name off of the bill.

So :sadwavey: Cingular. It only costs $175 to cancel my contract.

2. Huntmoney

Huntmoney New Member

why not just keep it under your moms name? whats the big deal?

or get a credit card and build your credit if you are old enough

3. donniethevet

donniethevet New Member

well i was thinking about switching and i want to take my number with me. someone told me that it has to be in just my name to switch the number to another provider.

4. Huntmoney

Huntmoney New Member

oh, well id call whoever you were gonna switch to and find out for sure. $175 is alot to waste on what someone heard. just my .02

5. donniethevet

donniethevet New Member

yea, i think i am just gonna ride it out until my contract is up, and then switch.

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I'd wait it out, and honestly I can't see Cingular doing that to a 5 year customer. Maybe try calling back? Or take your mom in with you and see if that helps. Sometimes (not always true) I've found stores other than Cingular (I.E. radioshack) to be more helpful here, the Cingular stores are usually full of idiots and I know theres like one or two decent people that work at my Radio Shack.

7. donniethevet

donniethevet New Member

I'll try another one. I did have my mom with me but the girl still just gave us a phone number to call. The guy we talked to was helpful, but I think that the $500 is a bit ridiculous to charge someone that has had a phone with them for about 5 years.

8. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

For sure, I read all the time about Cingular waiving fees to seasoned customers.

9. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Yes, because Cingular knows you've been paying the bills this whole time. They certainly don't think its been your mother since the bill goes to her name and its under her social:ugh:

They don't view you as the same customer. Different name, different social, different account number. The ONLY thing thats the same is your number. You're a HUGE risk in not having any credit. If you dont have credit what makes you think you're going to be able to get service through another provider w/o a deposit :uh:

Why don't you get her to add you as an authorized user to the account so you have access to it....

either that or its time for prepaid :mamoru:

10. Phil02E46

Phil02E46 mystash.org

i'd also check with the other provider, what if they run a credit check on you and want 750$ :dunno:

11. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

:rofl:

you do know that every cell company does credit checks and they'll all charge you a deposit to get service right?

12. donniethevet

donniethevet New Member

yes, i know that they all run credit checks, i have that taken care of now. thank you guys who actually were trying to give me advice.

13. Spike McAwesome

Spike McAwesome New Member

Cell phone companies are the worst. I haven't had too many problems with Cingular, but fuck Verizon right in the asshole.

The bill was in my mom's name. When she died, my dad wanted to cancel it and join me on a Cingular family plan. Verizon wanted an original of the death certificate (banks, insurance companies, and my mom's pension plan only wanted copies), plus a $300 fee just for my dad to cancel the account. Out of all the administrative bullshit that went along with her death, Verizon was far and away the worst to deal with.

So, long story short, the title of this thread should be "Cell phone companies can get fucked".

14. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

holy shit thats insane. Why not just cancel the cont, pay the early term fee and be done with it....sucks though

15. quickone

quickone New Member

I would have flipped shit on those assholes

16. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Good to hear, you're only 2 months late :ugh:

17. donniethevet

donniethevet New Member

yea, i guess i could have.

18. donniethevet

donniethevet New Member

But i am just waiting it out, the contract is up 2-26-07 so i am switching then. I am sick of their retarded bullshit.

19. Dajamany

Dajamany noob

You understand ALL cell phone company's base their deposit's or lack there of based on credit, right? Just pony up the deposit, you get it back after a year or so. You know what you also have at that point? Some established credit.

20. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Unless you've estalished some sort of REMARKABLE credit since then, no matter who you switch to is going to charge you a deposit. I don't know where you're from, but I haven't heard of any of these "security" deposits being less than $400 or $500.

21. Dajamany

Dajamany noob

some company's have different tiers of deposits. T-mobile has a $250 and $500 depending on your credit score, i'm not 100% sure about other companies though. It's not a flat standard on what credit qualifications require a deposit with all the different companies, it is possible to qualify for a no deposit line with one company while another would want a deposit. That usually only happens with people who have a small amount of good credit established. No credit isn't much better than bad credit as far as these companys are concerned, most of the time.

22. donniethevet

donniethevet New Member

right, i have the money in hand for the deposit. it will get me some credit and i will be able to get away from cingular. problem solved i guess.

23. Dajamany

Dajamany noob

do what you gotta do, but i still say your hatred of cingular is pretty unfounded.

24. michaelrj9

michaelrj9 New Member

A couple years ago Verizon was the best for me.
    They gave me 2 treo 650's for free...
    I had a kyocera 7135 that broke after a couple years (I did pay for the monthly warranty) but they never charged me the deductible. So they sent me 1 new treo 650 because the 7135 was no longer avaiable but they sent me a bare bone treo no charger,software etc. So I called them up again and told them thanks but I can not use it without the charger software etc. So they sent me a new in retail box treo 650. The man on the phone outright told me in different words that I do not need to return the other treo because they could not find it in the sysyem. So then I ended up closing my account because I was out of contract. Then I waited a couple of months to see If I would get a bill in the mail but never did. So both were put on Ebay now I am with cingular, a few more months and my cingular contract will be up so maybe I should check out Verizon again :)

25. donniethevet

donniethevet New Member

well, i have had some billing problems with them before. so i figure i would give verizon a shot since nearly all of the people i talk to have verizon with no complaints