Cingular Phones (I know there's alot of these threads, sorry.)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bmorrell, Oct 13, 2005.

1. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

I got mail yesturday saying my two year contract is up. I can now renew, and get a new phone for the (free[or whatever] with new service plan!1111) price. So I looked around the website. Problem is, there's really nothing that catches my eye. The only two that are barely appealing are the S710 and the Black RAZR. I've heard about a lack of features from the RAZR, and that's not too exciting.

I've had three phones in the past two years. I turn 16 in January. The phones were Nokia 8390, Moto T720, and Moto V600. The T720 I gave to my brother because his phone broke, and he's using that now. The V600's earpiece isn't working, so I've been using my ghetto 8390 for months now. Doesn't bother me that much.

Long story short, what's the good phone right now, and what should I (maybe) wait for, if anything. I like to be current and up-to-date and all advanced and crap, but I don't need or want a Trio/PDA phone or whatever. Reasonable budget, and I'd like the phone to look good. That's why I like the RAZR.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  2. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

The two that I like are the Nokia 6680 and the Sony Ericsson w800. Both are pretty expensive though.

My wife just bought a Razr, and while it is a really cool looking phone we are extremely disapointed in the camera. Plus it's a little wierd to hold because its so wide.

3. arejay

arejay mr. potato head

I have a RAZR...no complaints...lightweight, durable...camera is just fine (its a fuckin phone, are people expecting 7MP quality here?)

4. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

if you got the cash get a nokia 8850?, stainless steel case, real glass window.

5. WickedLou9

WickedLou9 Deep cover terrorist gerbil

i just picked up the V551 last weekend. So far I think it's great. The bluetooth is awesome, and the motorola MObile phone tools lets you drag and drop pictures and sounds to and from the phone. You can also install Java games and apps on your phone using the Bluetooth connection. THere are websites that have alll sorts of stuff you can download and install.
    The phone is really just jam packed with features.

I have read about some complaints with the phone dropping calls and with the signal meter being pretty unreliable. Seeing as that I have only had it for a week I don't have any experience with such. But so far I love the phone. There are so many gizmos I can play with. :o

6. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

nokia 6620 or smt 5600

7. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

I picked up the V551 a few weeks ago and I haven't had any complaints so far.

8. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

My dad's got a 551. I'll check out the ones you guys mentioned. Thanks a bunch.

Any more?

9. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

(sorry for the double post)
    Yeah, I've been looking around at them, but didn't remember all of the names.

The one I really like is the w800. But I do have an iPod, and I'm concerned that the phone is too focused on the music player.

Prove me wrong please. :hs: The more I look at that phone, the more I like it.

Edit: I like it alot, actually. But are they focused too much on the music player?

10. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

Alright. I've decided I want the w800, but:

It's not carried by Cingular. Which means I can't get a discount, and the phone retails for five hundred dollars. Ebay's got it for about $420 or so, but yeah.

Is there a cheaper way to get this? Or any other phone like it (besides the ROKR)?

11. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

From what I have read on the w800, its only a 900/1800/1900 phone. Cing uses 850mhz in most areas. Although you'll probably get reception in most areas, you will probably experience much more drops in signal/quality with a phone that can't get to use the 850 band. Just fyi

12. asiantime

asiantime Active Member

currently i'm using a phone without the 850 band with cingular, it's not worth the pain. my reception gets owned all the time. i'm about to pick up a 2nd phone b/c of this. if i were in your position, try to find a quad band phone you're happy w/,

13. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

i love my v551. Great phone, my dad bought my mom and i both it (i'm 15). I've got to say, it is a Razr, without the price tag and the cool looks. It shares ALL of the same features (my best friend had a Razr), and they are both like the same as far as features.

Good looking phone, i didnt want a Razr, because i'm afraid i'd brake it (like my friend did). I'm considering getting a new phone right now, i've had mine for a little over a year, and its getting pretty old. I mean, the metal on the front is like painted on, so it scratches pretty easily.

I'm looking at the LG F9100. Ebay has em for like 130 shipped.

14. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

Thanks for the ideas. Still looking around...

Weird, my ZIP (92130) isn't showing the LG 91whatever...would it still work?

15. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

idk, call cingular. Tell them the model and name, and just be like my term is ending, and i'm most likely going to jsut buy it from ebay (it'll be cheaper, most likely), can i just pop in a sim and go?

16. jafo

jafo land of entitlement OT Supporter

just picked up the Nokia 6682. So far I like it. It has done everything I wanted it to do...and even some things I will probably not use.

17. donniegood

donniegood Member

18. Bomber166

Bomber166 New Member

I work for cingular lol. Such a horrible company. The v3 is horrible, dont get that, it breaks so easily.

The v551 is one of the more popular phones. (Its less than half the price of the v3 and has more features and feels better)

There have been a lot of orders for the new nokia too, I havnt played with it though.

19. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

Yeah, again, my dad has the 551, I really don't like the look of it.

I guess I'll just be waiting for something spectacular. Anything good being released soon?

20. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

The new Motorola PEBL and SLVR L7 are supposed to be released soon.

The nokia 6682 got pushed back to december.

Check out www.phonescoop.com

21. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

So the w800 doesn't work well with Cingular?

For all of the RAZR bashing I'm doing, I'm starting to like it more, because quite frankly, there's not much being released soon that I would like. It's just the terrible camera and lack of features that's preventing one from being in my pocket right now...

Convince/un-convince me please?

22. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

phased out and stay away from the smt, lots of problems lately with them

23. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

razr is ok. if you qant a lot of features look at the mpx220, they're bringing it back. I have the razr as my work phone and the mpx as my personal and i would be lost w/o my mpx. i've never had a better phone. lots of people say they have issues with them but mine (and all the others i know who have them) love them

24. fakirone

fakirone OT ex-con, I hate the Mods

I just got this phone today (Cingular) and I'm trying to figure out all the gadgets. Seems like it has a ton of features though. I need a ring tone cause I hate the factory options. :greddy:

25. cacique78

cacique78 Member

I've had the v551 and I don't know about you guys but its a horrible piece of shit! Calls drop all the time and when I'm up at my parents house outside DC and barely get a signal. In less than 8 months the phone has gone through 3 chargers and 2 batteries. The mobile phone tools won't even detect the phone and when it feels like charging (notice I said when IT feels like it) it shuts the phone off, otherwise it won't charge the battery. I've had previous motorola phones with other wireless companies and they haven't been this bad, so I'm thinking it might just be a bad phone. But regardless I'm using it as an excuse to get a new one so I'm looking for a good phone also.