cingular GSM?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sgt_mac99, Jan 3, 2005.

1. sgt_mac99

sgt_mac99 Guest

what would be a good GSM phone to get from cingular? Has anyone used this service, and how did it work?

2. Chris

Chris New Member

Well, if you are thinking about signing a new contract, the best phone they have avaiable right now is the Motorola v551. If you want the coolest phone, the also sell the Motorola v3, but its still $500 even if you sign a contract.

BTW, who are you thinking about switching from?

3. sgt_mac99

sgt_mac99 Guest

I guess I should have been a little clearer, what I meant to ask was about world phone service

4. Chris

Chris New Member

If you want to travel you will need a quad-band phone (world phone)

But my honest pick for the travler would be this. You get he quality of a CDMA signal here in the states, and the ability to use GSM abroad

Its a Verizon phone BTW

5. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Buy a nokia 6230, unlock it for free (google search unlock nokia) and be happy.

the v551 is far from the best phone cingular sells. Very poor battery life, poor moto software, shitty camera...the list goes on.

6230 is BY FAR the best phone we sell right now. I replace batteries on the 551 at the rate of about 4 or 5 a day on brand new phones (less than 30 days old)
    Most nokias are easy to unlock for free.

The 6230 has Bluetooth, video recording capabilities, an AMAZING camera, expandable MMC card slot (supports up to 1gig MMC), EDGE for fast online speed (220k when hooked up to my desktop ....faster than my roadrunner :ugh: ), MP3 player, FM radio, and for most places (unless you're going to parts of india or africa) you'll not need the 900 mhz band of a quadband phone.

i'll have to dig up some photos taken with the camera. Its better than most 1+mp camera phones on the US market :bowdown:

for roaming on GSM, check out http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

look for where you're going, see what frequency they use, and find a carrier in that area, some even show coverage maps :bigthumb:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

the screen on the 6230 is smaller and the screen cover scratches too easily. other than that, it's a good phone as BlackWRX02 says. However, if you're going to be overseas, the Quad-Band capabilities and clam-shell design of the V551 would probably be something to consider. (The 6230 is a candybar format phone).

7. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

You do not need a quad band phone in order to roam around the world. Keep in mind that the older of the frequencies is 900mhz for around the world. I recommend the Sony Ericsson S710a that comes out next week. If you're worried about coverage, you can check gsmworld.com to see which providers use what frequencies around the world. Everybody is switching over to 3G but don't worry cause a lot of them still support 1800. :)

8. sgt_mac99

sgt_mac99 Guest

I did a google search for unlocking my phone, the process makes sense, but I do not understand why I would need or want to unlock the software in my phone. If I activate a cingular (i'm partial to cingular because I have an existing contract) world plan the phone should work on any network that has a roaming agreement with cingular. On GSMWORLD.COM Iraq is said to only have one network that has an agreement with AT&T wireless (cingular) GSM 850/1900 is Orascom, so in theory a cigular phone should work over there. right?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

unlocking a phone will not help for what you wish to do.

unlocking a phone allows you to put another companies SIM into your phone. for example, you can use a cingular sim. However, you would need to unlock the phone to switch to tmobile as your carrier (and thus use a tmobile sim)

10. zennoodle

depends which phone you get. If you get the nokia 6230 and its locked, email me and I can send you the unlock code. As for international roaming, doublecheck with Cingular about their rates. yous hould be ok otherwise.

11. zennoodle

... for me, unlocking a phone adds value to it when it comes time to resell. :)

12. BlackWRX02

unlocking is going to give you the ability to use a prepaid SIM card in your phone over seas, that way you can use the local rates wherever you are.

I have to disagree about screen scratches on the 6230. Just leave the screen protector that comes on it and you'll be fine as long as you don't carry your phone in the same pocket you keep your keys in. Its all in how you handle it ;)

S710 is going to be great, but a little pricey, and it still has the regular ericsson OS, which I can't stand for some reason. I want to be able to go back with one click, not back one menu at a time :uh:

13. sgt_mac99

sgt_mac99 Guest

thanks for the info, I htink I am going to go with the nokia 6230.

14. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

good choice :bigthumb:

15. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

16. BlackWRX02

:werd: you'll love it