Cingular 8525

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by threeclaws, Aug 21, 2006.

1. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Hrmm... I wonder when it will be available to TMO (MDA II) - and I hope they don't cripple them.

3. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

meh, not feelin the keyboard on this one.

It'll be just like the 8125. 99% of the ones I sell come back because, even after an hours worth of instruction when they buy it, numerous tutorial phone calls, and trips back to the store to "get help with it" they're still way too stupid to figure it out, give up, and return it. :uh:

4. outsidah

outsidah Hrmmm OT Supporter

I returned my MDA... just didn't feel it. Screen is crap IMO too... I'm spoiled by SE phones.

P990.. I'm waiting for you...

5. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Same keyboard as the current one :dunno:

Stupid people although you would be the first to quote a 99% return rate, most reps (that I've seen) have said maybe a 20%.

6. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Sony's don't have paticularly nice screens, especially not the P-series, and then you are stuck with Symbian.

7. outsidah

Oh bud you haven't checked out their offerings in the past couple of years then.

Their screens are some of the best in the business along w/ Nokia's and such.

P-series don't run PalmOS either. Symbian has been their flavor of choice.

8. outsidah

Quick P990 pic if you havent seen it:

[​IMG]

9. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

I just had a T610 ~2yrs ago, my broinlaw has had a S710/W600/K750 and most recently the W810...none of the screens have been anything to write home about, the S710 actually had a few dead pixels and was a bitch to see in direct sunlight.

I edited my post, Symbian might actually be worse than PalmOS though.

10. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

I know what the P990 looks like (and really you should have posted a pic sans-keyboard if you wanted to show it off.)

11. outsidah

W600 screen is meh, K750/W800/W810 are pretty nice IMO considering the screens are rather small, but the the colors and details look nice (again IMO).

I'm surprised you didnt like the S710 screen though... that one was larger and much more clear than the previous ones cited.

I hate PalmOS personally... Symbian is growing on me though... I've tried to love the PocketPC OS on multiple occasions but I always end up getting tired of it...

12. outsidah

Just looked for something quick that showed it in some of its glory, didnt know you knew the phone since you said the P-screens were nothing to write home about (I would agree on that up until now, w/ the release of the P990)

13. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

I think they are all nice but nothing so much better than the 8125 that I would consider the 8125's bad, hell I sold my 8125 and am still trying to decide between the W810i and a K790a so obviously I must like SE phones and their screens.

The S710 was probably one of the worst for functionality, everytime we tried to take a picture outside it was an ordeal to shade the screen to see what was going on, it was nice inside though...well minus the dead pixels :hs:

PalmOS and Symbian are one in the same for me, clunky and unfriendly. Personally I think a well designed WM5 phone is almost perfect, I know others sometimes have trouble with them but for me (someone who has everything in Outlook) they have always sync'd up and run like a champ (going back to my Axim.) Unfortunately I just wasn't using my 8125 enough to justify keeping it around.

14. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

I haven't seen any reviews on it (I don't think) and pictures don't really tell the whole story so I am basing it off of past experience with the P800/900.

15. outsidah

Oh man! I love the new K800/K790 phones. I would think you're probably trying to decide between the two because of the W810 being quad band and cheaper than the K790a? Personally, I couldnt resist going w/ the K790a if I were in your shoes. Slightly updated UI, better & larger screen, better camera and not that much more expensive.

I understand your point on this - my girl had this phone for awhile. The camera was a nothing great and the menus were kinda slow... the rest of the phone was pretty good though... she has a W800 now though... much happier (better overall, the S700 just had a better screen).

I hear ya... I dont think I can ever get used to PalmOS... just hate it from day one.... so outdated. I could see WM5 working for me... maybe one day... but right now I just dont feel it.

16. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

All I care about is the 850/1900 bands, and really I only care about 850 for when I go to resell it in 6-12 mos. when I get bored :o
    The 790a has the better camera and that is what might end up convincing me to pay the extra $100 in the end, I'm not looking forward to spending $450 but if it need be I will.

All true, the one thing I like about the S710 though is that there is a slide cover for the camera lense, the fact that the W810 has an exposed lenses is a big negative for me.

I grew up on Palm and always thought that it could be better but the initial PPC offering weren't that great either, Nokia had symbian and it was OK but it always seemed dumbed down to me. I really like WM5 though and wish I was still working out of the office more so I could actually use a WM5 device.

17. outsidah

Check this thread every so often:

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=977561&page=14&pp=15

K790a's thru Amazon.. that is if they ever get them in. % off codes pop up there every couple of days.. should get you one for $435 or so w/ shipping and a good return policy in case anything happens.

Good luck! :)

18. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Yep, I'd probably get the K790a there with the 15% code, mostly because it is the only place carrying it right now :o

If I go W810i then I'll snag it from www.myworldphone.com, basically the same price as Amazon's after discount price plus it will take Amazon 2wks to get the phone to me while My World Phone will get it to me in 2 Days :)

Thanks for the link though, I probably won't order the K790a until after a few others actually recieve their's.

19. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

I'm going for the treo 750

20. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

I just wish HTC didn't make such great phones on paper but shitty in person..i.e.. call quality, bluetooth, etc.

21. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

My 8125 had good phone quality and my bluespoon worked fine, so did my JAM and my SMT5600 :noes:

If HTC made bad phones I would stop buying them but they don't :dunno:

22. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I'd say go for the w810i if i were you, awsome phone. i'd suggest getting a screen cover though, and I even got a silicone case. i get tons of compliments on mine.

Oh, and you can take the back from a k750i and it'll fit right onto the w810i back, and then it'll have a lense cover.

cnn.cn sells the back plates, and theres a tutorial on ho-fo about how to do it.

23. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

I think I'd rather just pay the $100 difference and get the overall better phone, thanks for the link though if the 790 doesn't come out soon or the W810 drops in price (say if Cingular actually brands and releases it) then I might change my mind.

edit - that link doesn't seem right :hs:

edit #2 - this is the right link http://www.cnn.cn/shop/ I guess www.cnn.cn doesn't work :)

24. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

thanks for fixing that.

And cingular is releasing the w810i arround middle to late September. I've got a friend that works for Cingular and he's going to the launch party for it, apparently the launch partys are friday or saturday nights then the following monday the phone is released.

25. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

And I'm sure that you know this, but just in case you dont, the k790 takes the new M2 sticks which as of now are only avaible up to 1gb and the 1gb will cost as much if not more than a 2gb MS pro duo. Just something else to think about if you're using it as a main camera, media, music player.