SRS Cigars

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SteveNC, Oct 18, 2006.

1. SteveNC

SteveNC Member

I have never smoked and would rather not get into the whole tabaco addiction thing. I was at a concert this past weekend and smoked a cigar. When you smoke a cigar you do not inhale. You just puff. My question is... Is this harmful like smoking cigarettes?Is it addictive? Anyone here just smokes cigars once in a while with no ill effects?

2. Metal

Metal Active Member

This is a good question - I'll look into it. I have never been one to smoke cigars, maybe a few times over the past 5 years but I never intentionally bought them and yes you are right that you usually always puff them instead of inhaling (some people inhale though.) An occasional cigar probably isn't any different than you getting second-hand smoke from people near you when they smoke cigarettes and you inhale the second-hand smoke.. Good Post though, maybe we have some more experienced cigar smokers on this board that can help answer that question.

3. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

There's a smaller risk of throat and mouth cancer due to smoke being puffed, but it is very small compared to the risk of lung cancer in cigarette smokers.

I smoke cigars and pipes, mostly pipes. Everything I've read has indicated that a pipe smoker will live as long as a normal person if they inhale pipe tobacco, and will live longer than a normal person if they do not inhale. I've also read it takes at least 5 large cigars each day to cause any serious damage. Take that for what it's worth.

4. MrJClive

MrJClive OT Supporter

"... live longer than a normal person if they do not inhale." ?

How does that work?

5. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Everyone's best guess is the fact that you are not inhaling (the main danger in smoking) combined with the relaxation it provides leads to a less-stressed lifestyle and is easier on the body. A typical pipe bowl lasts around 45min's to an hour, so you can see it adds up if it relaxes you. Cigarettes, comparatively, are inhaled vigorously and are used as a quick "fix" when stressed, having an opposite effect.

6. aldrinefedorov

aldrinefedorov New Member

i gave it up and it seems that it didn't make me an addict in my many months of using it...:)
    thank God He helps me overcome it.

7. marauder

marauder New Member

Here you go maybe this forum will help answer questions for you.
    http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
    &
    http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ped/content/ped_10_2x_cigar_smoking_and_cancer.asp

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006