Cigarette Boat...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Bolix, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Bolix

Bolix GLOWED UP OT Supporter

Ok so I got a call earlier today and a shop wants me to detail their $700,000 cigarette boat :eek4::noes:.

Any tips from people who have done boats? This beast is either 70' or 90', I forget what he said. I haven't done anything even CLOSE to this size before!

2. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

They dont make 70' foot cigarette boats, the largest a cigarette boat goes up to is like 50' I think your speaking more of a yacht or cruiser...

Cigarette boats are like donzi, formula, cigarette, apache, fountain, etc

I have no idea, I need to detail our boat soon either but I dont know if there is anything I should be careful with in buffing gel coat.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

$15-20 a foot for boats. Either that or price it out by the hour.

4. Bolix

Bolix GLOWED UP OT Supporter

Ah, I see. I haven't actually seen the boat yet, my friend just told me about it and said "cigarette boat," but he is a bit of a tard. I was planning on going out to see it earlier today(well yesterday by now) but hardcore rain prevented me, so hopefully it will be clear tomorrow and I can go see it first hand. The shop just trailered it down from Maine iirc so I suspect it's going to be pretty damn filthy.

And I also would like to know if there are any special measures/precautions I should take in regards to the paint or any other thing particular to a boat.

Thanks for the advice guys, this will hopefully turn out to be a HUGE source of income for me, especially if I go by scottwax's pricing :eek:

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You are going to need gel coat specific products or really strong compounds like Optimum Hyper Compound and cutting pads. Gel coats are like a freakin' rock.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

moeffin word. when i graduated HS, my summer job was at a boat shop, with a fiberglass shop next door. i polished a boat for the 'glass shop one time. it was quite a chore. took me like 6 hrs using a rotary and a bucket of something like a compound paste. :eek4:

7. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Good luck man...let us know what type of boat it is and your process etc.....it may be a cig boat, the footage just may be wrong or something...cause I know it might be pretty tough to trailer a boat of that size listed above.