MMA chuck says if he wins his next fights he needs to get a title shot

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, May 20, 2008.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

"Chuck Liddell eyes fall return, title shot
    by John Morgan on May 19, 2008 at 10:32 am ET
    Forced to withdraw from the main event of UFC 85 due to a torn hamstring, fan favorite Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell (21-5 MMA, 16-3 UFC) is now looking to return to the octagon in early fall. And although an opponent has not been determined, Liddell feels a win would earn him a shot at the light-heavyweight title he lost a year ago.

Liddell discussed his return while a recent guest on TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"It wasn't very fun," Liddell said regarding the injury. "But I've been doing rehab on it, and it's been going real well. I'm hoping to be back fighting in late summer, early fall. You know, September or November."

The latest officially announced UFC date is UFC 87, on Aug. 9 in Minneapolis, Minn. Liddell ruled that date out, stating it was "too early."

Once a date has been determined, Liddell and the UFC can work on arranging a match-up. The 38-year-old would still be willing to take on his original opponent, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, provided the Brazilian recovers from his own knee injury in time.

"It's a possibility," Liddell said of the bout. "If he's healthy and I'm healthy, it's a fight that makes sense."

Regardless whom Liddell ends up facing, the ex-champion feels a victory should be enough to earn him a shot to reclaim the title.

"I've been ready to fight the champion for a long time," Liddell said. "(If) I win in the fall, I think I deserve a title shot."

Liddell is also anxious to avenge his two most recent losses, to light heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, and the rapidly improving Keith Jardine.

"Of course I would," Liddell said about the opportunity to face Jackson and Jardine again. "And if Forrest (Griffin) wins (against Jackson) in July, which is possible, I'd want to fight him first and get the title. To be honest, it makes it a lot easier to get your rematches when you got the title because people want a shot at the title."

Liddell also addressed the recent controversy surrounding himself and Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson. To hear the full interview, download Friday's edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

This story, written by John Morgan, was produced by TAGG Radio specially for MMAjunkie.com. The show -- which is hosted by fighter/broadcaster Frank Trigg, Gorgeous George and ace producer Goze -- books some of the biggest names in MMA. Download all the former episodes at www.taggradio.com, or tune into TAGG Radio's live shows Monday-Friday at noon ET/9 a.m. PT."

It's kind of interesting b/c I read the other report worrying about the injury and it's being discussed here:

http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/36249-li...ng-injury.html

I hope his recovery is going well and he will be able to fight Shogun late in the year. Again Chuck talks about getting his title shot after this fight. I could see Dana giving his boy another shot quickly especially after this injury. I dunno what that will mean if Machida and Jardine both win though, unless they match those two up and let Chuck leapfrog them or if Chuck will have to fight one of them before the title shot. Your thoughts?

2. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

What did he say about Kimbo?

And no, Rashad isn't shit. beating him would mean nothing. I say he has at least another fight before fighting the champ. and if machida wins... maybe make him next instead of chuck.

3. Kuet

Kuet New Member

chuck should NOT get a title shot after his next fight- even if it is against shogun. And he wins.
    I think machida should get a shot if he were to beat tito, and jardine, much as i hate him should if he beats wanderlei. Please, please dont let this happen.

4. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

agreed, chuck has lost to rampage twice already he is pretty much in the same situation that rich franklin is in. The only way chuck should be able to get a title shot after his next fight is if rampage loses to forest and I really don't see that happening any time soon.

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Chuck doesn't deserve that shot yet.

6. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Chuck shouldn't get a title shot anytime soon.

Techno-viking beat both Chuck and Griffin, so he should have gotten his shit pushed in by Rampage before anyone else.

After that, Griffin should have gotten a shot (and hopefully win, I love that boy!)

By that stage Chuck should have fought at least another two fights.

As it stands now:

Title Defense A
    Griffin Vs Jackson

Title Defense B
    Winner of A Vs Winner of Wanderlei/Jardine fight (which is unfair for Jardine, he fought and beat the main two gate keepers, afterall. And, Wanderlei may be a Pride Champ, but he's yet to prove himself to be a real contender in the UFC).

Fight C
    Machida (beats down Tito :() Vs Chuck

Fight D
    Winner of C Vs High end Gate keeper (Rampage, Griffin, Wanderlei) i.e whoever isn't champ at that stage.

Title Defense E:
    Winner Fight D Vs Current LW Champ.

I hope that makes sense, I'm typing as fast as possible as my boss looks over my shoulder...

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

what the fuck is all that noise havent you leaned yet alot of times they pick those matches by shooting darts at pics

8. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i'd see this, rampage vs. BJ Penn, BJ would win :hsugh:

9. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

he needs to rematch jardine

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

agreed

11. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I want to see Wandy fight Jackson for the title very much. I dont really care whos deserving.

12. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I'd like to see the winner of Wandy/Jardine fight for the title and Chuck to fight the loser of Rampage/Forrest on the same card, where if he wins he gets the title shot.

13. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i wouldnt mind rampage sending chuck into retirement. :dunno:

14. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

I still think this will be a somewhat difficult fight to sell. You cant just completely leave out that he has been owned twice

15. Savage5point0

Where as you can sell the shit out of Silva beating 'Page twice in dramatic fashion.

16. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

I don't think Wandy deserves a shot yet. He's lost 3 straight, 1 win against an overrated jackass shouldn't put you in title contention.

But if Jardine somehow beats Wandy, and Machida beats Ortiz then I think Chuck is behind those two.
    If Machida and Jardine both lose - then Chuck beats Shogun, I can see Chuck getting the next title shot.

17. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah wandy needs at least 3 str8 before he can go for the title. His situation is the same as or at least a little better then chuck because he does have 3 str8 losses but he has beat the current champ twice. If it was any one else that would have had 3 str8 they would be in a real bad spot and it would take them awhile before they could get another shot. Wandy is good to go though if he can beat jardine.

18. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Probably not, but the UFC has never cared that much for rankings.

19. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

If he didn't lose to Jardine, I'd agree that he'd be in line for a title shot. But he got beat(again) by Jackson and then went and lost to Jardine. I love Chuck but he needs to fight Evans and have a impressive win. Then rematch Jardine and then beat the loser of the Griffin/Jackson match then I'd say he'd be eligible for a title shot.

20. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Wadny doesnt need a title shot right now. But that fight would be great to sell. Silva hs run through Rampage twice already, but now Rampage is the champ.

21. Savage5point0

If Jardine and Machida lose who else is going to get a shot?