MMA Chuck Retiring Rumors Denied.."...We're Looking at Shogun"

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by dengar, Sep 24, 2007.

1. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

What’s happening in the world of mixed martial arts now …

By Loretta Hunt ([email protected])
    Photo Courtesy of UFC.com

If Chuck Liddell is contemplating retirement, his trainer and closest confidante John Hackleman is the last to hear about it.

“He’s already said he’ll be back in the gym next Monday,” said Hackleman, who has coached Liddell for 16 years. “He’s going to fight again, hopefully as soon as possible, maybe in December. We’re looking at ‘Shogun.’”

Along with Liddell, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua was among the casualties at Saturday night’s at UFC 76 “Knockout” at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. Rua, largely considered one of the top three light heavyweights in the world, was systematically dismantled by Forrest Griffin, succumbing to exhaustion and a rear-naked choke in the third round’s final seconds. With Griffin not even ranked in the top ten, the loss was considered a sizable upset, only matched by former light heavyweight champion Liddell’s defeat to Keith Jardine via a split decision a few moments later.

Liddell’s second consecutive loss successfully derailed a New Year’s Eve collision with former PRIDE light heavyweight champion Wanderlei Silva, who sat cageside shaking his head following Saturday’s results. The pairing of Silva and Liddell has been long sought-after by UFC president Dana White.

Popular San Luis Obispo trainer Hackleman says his camp had already been alerted that a match-up with the Brazilian Chute Boxe member could be on the horizon. In response, Hackleman approached both White and UFC matchmaker Joe Silva Saturday night to make it known Liddell’s team was favorable to the bout, which could take place as early as Dec. 29’s UFC 79 in Las Vegas, Nev.

“Chuck will face anyone they put in front of him,” says Hackleman. Due to their formidable records, a bout between Liddell and Rua would catapult either fighter back into title contention.

Speculation of Liddell’s retirement surfaced Saturday following a routine post-fight press conference where the 37-year-old deferred comments regarding his next career move and intonated he would have to mull things over.

“You’re dealing with a guy that just lost a fight, is totally depressed right after a humungous loss,” says Hackleman, who was not present at the press conference. “Of course, he’s disappointed. We didn’t get into details about the fight, especially after a loss, because that’s not the time you want to talk about it. We usually talk about it when we get back in the gym.”

Hackleman has his theories as to what went wrong for his prized student in the cage he dominated for four years till his defeat at the hands of Quinton "Rampage" Jackson last May at UFC 71.

“I think things went wrong with Keith Jardine. Keith Jardine came out and fought like a freakin’ killer," says Hackleman. "Chuck just couldn’t pull the trigger in time and was just a hair off and Jardine’s timing was perfect.” :ugh:

http://thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=4933

2. dengar

After 3 rounds of having a guy stand right in front of him Hackelman thinks Chuck's problem was that he couldn't pull the trigger??!!

How about some adjustments or insight from the corner between rounds.

"Hey Chuck we think this round you should probably pull the trigger."

3. Rob H

Rob H New Member

i couldn't believe it wasn't until the third round he decided to start checking the leg kicks

4. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

Looking at Shogun like, "hey if Forest can do it"

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

So is Chuck's new strategy to only fight people coming off of upset losses?

fight Wandy like you said you would you pussy.

6. dengar

That's what I don't understand. Wandy is right there and in the same boat as Shogun. Why continue to leave this fight up to speculation when we can finally see the two settle it once and for all.

It would make more sense to fight a total can, but if that didn't just happen we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

7. Rob H

Rob H New Member

i am sure Dana will push the fight off until chuck has somewhat more momentum behind him so they can really push that fight. I would think most fans still want it to happen (I know I do) but they really can't market it like they would be able to if Chuck isn't coming off 2 disappointing losses.

8. dengar

And if Shogun gets off of his ass and beats Chuck, which I think we can all agree is very possible...then what???

Wand comes in and dominates his first fight. We here his name flying around for title contention and then you have to try to hype him against a guy with 3 straight loses.

I think you do Chuck vs Wand before it gets any worse.

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

agreed.

Two giants of the sport, two of the most dominant 205 fighters ever, coming off of losing two in a row and losing their titles, sounds to me like a make or break battle royale.

10. Rob H

Rob H New Member

from a fan standpoint yes. from a business standpoint that's so hard to call.

11. dengar

I think the fight is good for the sport and Dana always talks about how badly he wanted to put that fight on.

This sport is still growing very rapidly. Delivering this fight will not negatively effect business.

Wand wins - He is the guy that retired Chuck
    Chuck wins - Chuck is back on his game and just beat one of the best ever

12. Rob H

Rob H New Member

agreed. i just don't know if they will give chuck a guy that could easily give him a third consecutive loss.

13. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

:rofl:

14. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

:werd:

They've been teasing us with this fight for how long now? Both have come off 2 losses and here is the fight that will put them back on track

15. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

the problem is the same as it was for the last fight. Wandy wants to fight in november, and the earliest chuck can fight again is December. Same way this last time, chuck wanted to fight again asap after his first loss and wandy wanted to wait till november.

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Why Shogun and not Silva. :ugh:

17. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

see the post above yours :dunno:

18. acidix

New years eve card Chuck vs Wanderlei, co main event with... the fight for the vacant LW title BJ vs Stevenson. Both fights need each other, and It'd be a great card if they give you even 1 decent undercard fight.

19. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Serra hughes is already scheduled.

20. acidix

Still you could have a co-main event with that. I'm not exactly waiting with bated breath for serra hughes.

21. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

it was in response to you saying it should co main event with the LW title fight.