Chrysler to make Viper based Corvette Competitor!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by troglodyte, Nov 25, 2004.

1. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101260

[​IMG]

The second concept, for now dubbed Firepower (Chrysler does not own the name and will need a new one prior to Detroit), is based on the V10 Viper’s architecture but uses the 6.1-liter, 425 hp, 420-lb-ft Hemi V8 that will see first light in the forthcoming 300C SRT-8. Again, officials say there are no production plans, but envision the car occupying the space between the Crossfire and (in theory) the ME412 in Chrysler’s performance portfolio.

Though the car is Viper-based—and Creed referenced Chevrolet’s Corvette as a key competitor (again, in theory)—the designers envision “Firepower” as more grand tourer than outright sports car; hence the softened suspension and five-speed automatic transmission. Brakes are 14-inch Brembos at all four corners, and the huge rubber measures 275/35 R19 up front, 335/30 R20 in back. Engineers estimate the car is capable of bolting from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds or less, and a 185 mph top speed.

Whether either car ever meets a production line, Chrysler has produced two concepts that would fill obvious holes in both Jeep’s and its own product lineup; executives will keep careful watch on public reaction at Detroit in January.

2. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

The front needs a little work and I hope the back doesn't look like the Crossfire

3. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

No manual = lameo.

Dodge needs to take it and call it the Superbird.

4. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

From the side, it looks much like the new Shelby (forget model designation) and a Bristol Fighter:

http://www.bristolcars.co.uk/BristolFighter.htm

[​IMG]

5. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Looks hot.

6. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

I like it. About time Chrysler is getting up back into the game :)

7. Butz

Butz Guest

It should be a Dodge with stiffer suspension and a manual..

8. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

so what they're trying to do is build a car that looks like a Vette, costs more than a Vette, but lacks the real performance of a Vette. :ugh: Dodge already has a competitor for the ZO6, it's called the Viper and even with it's 100hp advantage, it still doesn't outperform the ZO6 on a road course. Maybe they should just build a better Viper and lower the price by $10K.

9. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

The pics in the link look like the GT and the ones here look like the Cobra Dayton Coupe. Way to go dodge.

10. travisdb

travisdb What do you wanna do?

11. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Nice pics but why would they make a car in direct competition with the Viper? That's stupid.

12. bugginout

bugginout New Member

any info on interior and price? didn't see one but someone here said it was more than a vette so maybe i missed it? also, i'm not exactly sure on the definition of "grand tourer" but will it equal a pimp interior among other things?

13. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

Can you post some data on the SRT-6? I haven't heard much on this sucker

comparo numbers for the pickups and the SRT-8/CTS-V would be badass too!

14. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

It sounds like it will cost much less, have less power, and be luxury oriented instead of performance oriented. That's not direct competition for the Viper or the Corvette.

15. Pioneer

Haven't heard anything on the SRT-6
    Ram SRT-10 = 500hp with a top speed of 154.xxx where the Lightning tops ~145
    SRT-8 = 6.1L Hemi w/425hp ---- the CTS-V has 400hp

16. MAD PUNK inDC

I don't think the CTS-V has anything to fear from the SRT-8. The SRT-8 is not nearly as nimble or a capable handler as the CTS-V, and the SRT-8 is much larger. I doubt the 25hp differance of the 6.1ltr Hemi is enough to outpace the LS6, particularly considering that the LS6 will make more than it's advertised power if you just sneeze at it the right way. The SRT-8 is also supposed to wiegh around 4200lbs, and only offer a 5 speed automatic with sport shift. The CTS-V wieghs in at 3800lbs, and offers a real 6 speed manual.
    the Crossfire SRT-6 is not ever a real competitor to the Corvette, sorry, no dice! It doesn't handle like it, perform like it, or move like the Vette. Consider this. The SRT-6 is supposed to make 330hp from it's supercharged 3.2ltr V6 (same as in the SLK) and comes in at around 3100lbs. Now take the new Vette, it's basicly the same wieght, only with a 400hp V8, and alot more torque across the rpm range than that V6 could ever hope for. Just the base C5 with an LS1 was capable of running 12s with good traction. Thats at least 2/10th faster than the SLK equiped with the same SC'd 3.2 V6, with a greater top speed and superior handling.

Sorry "ownage" not found! :slap:

and BTW, I outran a new 300C Hemi in my 96 Impala with 144,000 miles on it. I'm not very impressed with the new "hemi" at all. Looks great on paper, but I have yet to see the performance to back up the numbers.

17. MAD PUNK inDC

Sounds to me like it's supposed to be aimed at the XLR, not the Corvette.

18. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

I was basically going to say the same things as MPDC, but I'll restrain myself.

I don't know much about the SRT-10, but I seriously don't see the SRT-8 coming close to the CST-V. The HP advantage (if any) isn't going to be enough to top the V. How is the SRT's suspension? I hear the V is fairly nimble.

Also, why does everyone put so much emphasis on top speed? Going fast is great and all, but I'd rather see something that can hook off the line and scoot to 100 and back to 0. That's much more practical (if we can even say that word here). Any comparo numbers of the lightning/SRT-10 from 0-100 and 100-0?

19. MAD PUNK inDC

who the hell races to 60mph? :dunno:
    The SRT-6 is not going to be competive against even the new base model C6, when it wieghs the same, but lacks a torquey V8, and 70hp. The C6 is already a sub 5sec car.

the SRT-8 is ALOT heavier than the CTS-V, has worse gearing, and an automatic for a trans. It's only got a slight power advantage, but not enought to take on a CTS-V with good tires (factory tires suck, and cause alot of wheel hop). It's no were close to being compitition for it, nor is it aimed at that demagraphic. It's supposed to compete with the new STS. Now compared to the STS, when both are maxed out, the 300C is a better value, but the STS is an all around more refined car.

the SRT-4 is not as fast as you make it out to be. In the "sport compact" market, it still has to compete with the EVO, and STi on the street. it's got 230hp and 250lbs of torque, wich is alot for a car that comes in at 2950lbs, but then again it's also wrong wheel drive. It's supposed to race in the same "class" as the Z28, and has yet to show the old F-body up.
    It will be interesting to see what happens when the Cobalt comes out, GM already has built up a good performance parts division for this car, and it's not even out yet. This much is known, the factory head and valvetrane is good for over 500hp, block is very stout, but the weak point is the rods (as usual PM rods just don't cut it on small engines) so bolt on power will probably be limited to 350fwhp max.

look I'm not saying that Chrysler isn't making good products, in fact they are, and it's good to see an american (even if augmented by a german) company doing well again. However all this "hemi" hype is going to peoples heads, and they are not seeing the limitations or problems with these engines, or the cars. There is a differance between saying "they are making some damn good cars" and "they own everything in thier class".

20. Butz

Butz Guest

Whether I agree or disagree I have to admit that Mopar done a great job with their SRTs

and the rest have to catch up soon or they'll be owned!

21. MAD PUNK inDC

I'm not going to argue either, because I've been racing for almost 15 years now. I don't know anybody who owns a CTS-V just for the show, every one of them actualy races it at least occasionaly. Also Chrysler is NOT the only manufacturer who has a serious performance division. If you seriously believe that Ford, GM, BMW, and other companys like them are do not market serious performance vehicles, you've lost all credibility here.

22. bugginout

bugginout New Member

since when is competition with other drivers the most important thing? sure, its fun to best someone at a light, but the most fun i have driving a car is running through the curvy mountain roads at good speed. Since when do i need to go to the track for that?

23. Pioneer

Actually, (I saw an article in Hot Rod) It looks alot like the Crossfire, using the Viper chassis and the 6.1 Hemi

24. matrix243/1

matrix243/1 Guest

Front looks great but the back needs work.

Profile looks very very similar to the GR-1.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The question is whether these concepts from Dodge and Ford will ever make production. I beginning to really detest these concepts, knowing few ever make it to production, and when they do there so water downed.

On another note, this will only hurt the Viper's sales numbers, having the two so close in price, assuming it nears the Vette's expected price of $75k. Didn't read all the posts, but did they mention the powertrain?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2004
  25. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

It is time I weigh in on this thread...

First of all the CTS-V is about to be embarassed any way you slice it....

Price:
    GTO: around 34 K
    CTS-V: 51,295
    SRT-8: 43,295

Weight:
    GTO: 3765
    CTS-V: 3875
    SRT-8: 4190

0-60 times:
    GTO 5.0
    SRT-8 4.9
    CTS-V 4.7

Quarter mile:
    GTO 13.3 @ 107.5
    SRT-8 13.2 @ 108.1
    CTS-V 13.1 @ 109.8

Braking 60-0:
    GTO 121 ft
    SRT-8 113 ft
    CTS-V 111 ft

200 ft skidpad:
    GTO 0.85g
    SRT-8 0.88g
    CTS-V 0.90g

600 ft slalom:
    GTO 63.6 mph
    CTS-V 66.8 mph
    SRT-8 67.3 mph

from the Feb Motor trend...

And just announced in a Chrysler press release:
    "Monday January 3, 8:01 am ET

-- All-new 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8 with 425-horsepower HEMI® priced at $39,995 including destination -- With an additional 85 horses - 25 percent more power -

Chrysler 300C SRT8 offers the ultimate performance sedan at a head-turning price -- Zero to 60 mph in low 5-second range, quarter-mile time in the high 13-second range, 0-100-0 mph in mid 16-second range

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Jan. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Even more HEMI® horsepower.

That's what happens when HEMI meets Chrysler 300C meets Street and Racing Technology (SRT). The result is American muscle, wrapped in a stunning sedan and delivered by Chrysler for $39,995, which includes $625 for destination.

Chrysler announced pricing today for its all-new 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8, powered by an SRT-engineered 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 producing 425 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque, and equipped with a host of performance upgrades and premium amenities. The 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8 arrives in showrooms this spring.

"With the 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8, we're delivering the ultimate performance sedan," said Jeff Bell, Vice President, Chrysler Marketing. "No other manufacturer can bring together the incredible combination of the HEMI, the Chrysler 300C, and SRT. Chrysler does just that with the 300C SRT8, all at an unbeatable value.

"For less than $40,000, the Chrysler 300C SRT8 delivers world-class handling, benchmark braking, functional exterior enhancements, race-inspired interior appointments and a jaw-dropping 425 horsepower," Bell added. "No one else comes even close to delivering the Chrysler 300C SRT8's combination of performance and value."

The 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8 is capable of remarkable performance times: 0 to 60 mph in the low 5-second range, quarter-mile time in the high 13-second range and 0-100-0 mph in the mid 16-second range.

HEMI Power

The heart of the 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8 is its SRT 6.1-liter HEMI engine, which generates 85 more horsepower than the 5.7-liter version with more cubic inches, higher compression ratio, faster engine speed and better engine "breathing" through special cylinder heads and manifolds. The 6.1-liter HEMI engine was strengthened with components including a reinforced engine block, forged steel crankshaft and high-strength connecting rods.

The result is an engine capable of 425 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque -- the highest specific-output V-8 engine ever offered by the Chrysler Group, whose horsepower-per-liter exceeds even that of the legendary 1966 Street HEMI.

2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8 Features

The all-new 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8 is equipped with many SRT-tuned performance upgrades, including larger-diameter anti-sway bars, specially tailored spring rates, Bilstein dampers, Brembo four-piston disc brakes at the front and rear, and 20-inch forged aluminum wheels shod with Goodyear F1 three-season tires.

Standard features of the 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8 include front seats equipped with heat and memory functions, clad with performance suede inserts that secure occupants during spirited driving. Other features include an adjustable pedal cluster, "technical" leather trim on the steering wheel, shifter and door pulls, and special finishing on interior trim such as the center stack. Full instrumentation includes a 180 mph speedometer, tachometer and temperature gauges.

Premium amenities include a standard AM/FM stereo radio with six-disc CD changer powering a seven-speaker Boston Acoustics speaker system, with steering wheel-mounted controls. Also available are SIRIUS® Satellite Radio, which offers hundreds of commercial-free channels, and a UConnect™ hands-free communications system with Bluetooth™ technology. This system recognizes up to seven different Bluetooth-equipped cellular phones and responds to voice commands, utilizing a microphone in the rear-view mirror and the stereo system's speakers for hands-free conversations.

Functional SRT Exterior Design Cues

The 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8's exterior styling combines premium elegance with functional performance enhancements. Redesigned front and rear fascias include unmistakable SRT cues, such as air ducting for brake cooling, as well as the specially designed rear decklid spoiler, which increases rear downforce without increasing drag. Other touches include a body-color grille insert with chrome collar, body-color mirrors and door handles, and unique SRT badging.

Available exterior colors for the 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8 are Bright Silver and Brilliant Black. The interior is offered in a Light Graystone/Dark Slate combination.

Chrysler Brand

The recent launch of the Chrysler 300, Chrysler Town & Country, Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible and Chrysler Crossfire Roadster and Crossfire SRT6 continues the brand's rapid-fire product offensive and decade-long growth.

Chrysler brand sales increased 109% over 10 years -- from 221,990 in 1993 to 463,590 in 2003. In 2004 (through November), sales were up more than 20 percent. The Chrysler brand's objective is to grow market share and brand image through its elegant designs, inspired engineering and exceptional value.

The 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8 is built at the Brampton Assembly Plant in Brampton, Ontario, Canada."

Less than 40 Grand, and performance equaling the CTS-V in a nicer package.....

As far as the Crossfire SRT-6, I wouldnt say that it is a competitor for the Corvette, a lot closer to a 350Z of G35 coupe... Which it bests nicely.