Chrysler might just pull through yet

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mitchj, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

With Fiat actually putting some management know how into the business instead of allowing what the big 3 seem to call 'management' they might stand a chance.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/11...lls-cost-of-coming-300-platform-shocking.html

The viper is finally gone too

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/Manufacturers/Chrysler/

The fact that Fiat owns Ferrari and Alfa Romeo might do wonders for providing a new low cost Chrysler sports car. Thats if either of those brands are willing to get their hands dirty and actually participate in the styling or driving dynamics.

2. 3Bar

3Bar Banned

i dont see any info that supports your statement.

3. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

well even if they dont pull through, Fiat will use the dealer network as a entry to the american market.

4. 3Bar

3Bar Banned

have you ever seen a fiat? they are just plain jane cars like chrysler/gm/ford, but probably uglier.

5. Chirp08

Chirp08 Pockets on swole

I don't give a fuck about anything other then their truck/jeep line.

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

What they are doing with the Dodge brand is absolutely retarded.

But the next Charger looks hot. And the 6.4L HEMI will be hot. And their two new V6s look very nicely engineered.

7. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Only thing I might buy from a Chrysler dealer is the fiat 500 turbo when it comes out in 2 yrs.

8. Charles

Charles Andalucia, mi tierra

not if trishield has anything to say about it

9. TriShield

Sergio’s Plea For Optimism

[​IMG]

By Edward Niedermeyer
    November 5, 2009

There are plenty of reasons to believe that Chrysler will not survive, let alone thrive the way the firm’s five-year plan foresees, but one of them does not appear to be Sergio Marchionne’s leadership. Though there’s doubtless a good deal of hubris in his plan, Marchionne’s depth of knowledge, personal experience and legendary workaholism seem to indicate that, if nothing else, Chrysler’s leadership is lightyears away from the Bob Nardelli years. Considering he oversaw a turnaround of Fiat that was only slightly less improbable than his current turnaround mission for Chrysler, he’s about as qualified to take on the mess in Auburn Hills as anyone else.

http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/company/team

10. TriShield

Fiat 500: The Littlest Bailout Baby

[​IMG]

By Edward Niedermeyer
    November 6, 2009

Chrysler is in desperate need of quick fixes. New versions of old nameplates (300, Grand Cherokee) and quick ‘n dirty refreshes, and modifications of existing, moribund nameplates are not going to keep showrooms busy while new, Fiat-based products wend their way to market over the next five years. And so, Fiat is bringing its 500 minicar to the US next year. At least that’s why Chrysler says it’s coming: to “attract a new customer to our showrooms.” Of course, that’s far from the whole story.

Though the 500 has a certain undeniable charm, it’s looking at some tough sledding in the US market. For one thing, it makes BMW’s MINI look like a Ford Flex. For another, the base engine makes all of 100 horsepower and 92 lb-ft of torque. Neither of these would be unforgivable sins if the indicated MSRP for the Cinquecento weren’t in the $20,000-$25,000 range. Add it all up though, and you’ve got a bella fiasco.

The challenges facing the Cinquecento’s success are even greater when you consider that Chrysler will handpick dealers to build unique showroom “salons” for the 500, in addition to hiring dedicated sales and management staff. Also, all Chrysler dealers will have to carry Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram brands by 2011, so it’s difficult to understand where the lucky metropolitan-area dealers will find room on the wall to add a Fiat logo. Let alone a possible Alfa badge in the future.

Luckily, the 500 isn’t being brought to the US because anyone inside Fiat or Chrysler thinks it’s going to sell particularly well. The only reason America is getting the 500 is because Fiat gets another five percent of Chrysler’s “equity” when it begins selling a 40 mpg vehicle, per the federal mandate. The other reason: Fiat wants to use the 500 to consolidate its strong presence in Latin America, where small, 100 hp vehicles are more accepted. The majority of 500 production at Toluca, Mexico will go to Brazil and other Latin American countries, as a halo for the Fiat brand’s success there.

Meanwhile, in the US market, the 500 will be little more than an overpriced fashion accessory. It may nibble around the edges of MINI’s niche, but it’s hard to imagine many potential MINI customers being drawn away by a smaller car with less power, especially if the price difference isn’t significant relative to the mass-market B-segment competitors.

Tellingly, even Chrysler’s optimistic sales projections show Fiat Group products making up a nearly unnoticeable percentage of US-market sales. Nobody, from Sergio Marchionne on down, cares if this car succeeds in the US except for the fashionista fanatics who will pay nearly any price for one. And they’ll get exactly what they deserve.

11. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

$20k for a 40mpg small car that weighs <2000lbs, I'm fine with that, I would have been willing to pay the same for a diesel fiesta.

12. caddymac

caddymac New Member

I still don't get the "Ram" brand. What was the matter with Dodge having a few trucks?

13. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

its now dodge cars and dodge trucks

they split them into seperate companies with seperate liabilites, its basically fiat preparing for dodge cars to go down the shitter, they know there will always be a market for the trucks.

14. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Thanks only to cummins. :rofl:

15. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

well dodge trucks is a very fine brand, and has a large following

no one wants dodge cars, so they split them, i see no reason for this.

16. TriShield

Because GMC is working out so well for GM... that's sarcasm by the way.

Chrysler has been calling trucks and vans RAM forever, but it has never been split or marketed differently from Dodge. They think the trucks overshadow the cars and that's their rationale for the split. Which is a stupid one. All they had to do was ensure all their cars were good ones which would make more sense. At least they seem to get Dodge's muscle car heritage and will be building on that with the new Charger, refreshed Challenger, much more powerful HEMI and so on.

They plan on selling an IVECO or two as RAM products. The van to replace the Sprinter and a few other things potentially.

17. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

yeah but chevrolet sell trucks too.

I bet if it was just chevrolet trucks under a different business name sold through the same dealers no one would notice.

18. TriShield

There was no logical reason to keep GMC, it's a tiny sliver of the business Chevrolet is yet the expenditure to differentiate the Chevies and GMCs and seperate marketing is huge. Fritz thought it was a good idea to keep GMC (and Buick) so they did. I would not be surprised to see both disappear in time.

I don't think Chrysler is going to treat the RAM brand the same though and the split is more in how Chrysler runs it's business then how it actually sells trucks. They're still Dodge trucks at Dodge dealers.

19. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

i dont see why we need buick when we have caddilac

the thing is, i dont like caddilacs styling, the new buicks are much nicer. GM needs to just set itself into a mainstream (chevrolet) and luxury (caddilac) company like every other car manufacturer in the world.

and they need to get past the "thats not a real caddilac if it doesnt look like this" mentality.

20. TriShield

Fritz's point was that the Chinese like it, which is nice, but it doesn't matter for shit in the US market. They could sell it in China and close it here.

21. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

So they're getting rid of the Viper in favor of a sports car that won't murder you when you try to take a corner with it?