Chrysler is a failing company.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mjolnir, May 25, 2007.

1. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I drove a rental Caliber this weekend, and I have some thoughts on it, and the company that built it.

If you don't care, that's fine. This is a big website, and there are many other threads to read.

I'm not Trishield, and I'm definitely not Clarkson, so this may be painful. You've been warned.

The fact that Dodge would be sellling a vehicle in 2007 with the interior quality and driving experience I experienced this week is an unmistakable indicator of their iminent demise.

The interior was literally no better than the interior of the ex-rental 1998 Chevy Cavalier I once owned, and in some ways it was worse. The only surface that was comforting to the touch was the gear shift indicator. Everything else was hard, or oddly textured, or both.

I was actually concerned about breaking the turn signal stalk.

It took me several tries to get the cruise control to engage.

Until I took pity on it and moved it to a better location, my suitcase kept sliding around the cargo area and banging into the hard walls.

Driving it was entertaining in that I was constantly guessing what result a particular throttle application was going to give.

Sometimes the engine would get louder but the car wouldn't really go any faster. I seriously thought it was a CVT for a while, but then it gave a sick lurch and upshifted so it was a standard automatic after all.

Sometimes the car would violently downshift and lurch forward. That would startle me, so I would let off the gas in order to avoid rear-ending someone, so the car would suddenly up shift and nose forward as momentum died.

Tell me this- how does a front-wheel drive car incapable of doing a burnout on damp pavement with the e-brake set provide "torque" steer?

Here's the bottom line for me.

I know it's a rental, and I'm cutting it a lot of slack because of that.

However, this car had some serious faults that I can't attribute to its career- bad sightlines, poor quality materials, poorly laid out interior, "power" plant... lot's of things.

This is one of many small cars, all built on the same platform, that Chrysler offers in the marketplace.

There is no way that this thing is a legitimate competitor to the Cobalt, Yaris, Fit, xB, Focus, Mazda3, or anything else I've driven in the small car arena.

Worse yet, the hemi equipped 2008 Jeep Cherokee in my family leads me to believe this is a problem with all of Chryslers products.

Good luck Cerberus. You're going to need it.

2. I have always believed Chrysler is complete shit. We have a 97 jeep cherokee and don't get me wrong its fun to drive (over stuff) but besides that its pretty shitty. It can carry some stuff on the back and if you are carrying more than a christmas tree on the top be careful.

All other cars that chrysler makes are eh. The only car that I think is good lookin is the SRT Charger and even then I would only buy it if I was loaded enough to have another car to drive around too.

3. August Burns

August Burns New Member

Im a ford man myself, but what you said it basically true. But then again the same can be said for just about all car companies

ever drive a saturn sky or pontiac solstice - both jokes, sloppy gear box, underpowered, just terrible.

same can be said for some fords

sometimes i dont know why people actually think its acceptable to have a car cost that much and feel like its going to break when you drive it.

4. nuclear

nuclear OT Supporter

I used to have a Cherokee, I had a cargo rack on the roof and regulary carried over 100 pounds up there without a single issue.
    My father also currently has a Cherokee and he carries kayaks and canoes on the roof every weekend, also with zero issues.
    Therefore you are full of shit and just trying to trash talk with no real basis behind your argument.

5. Did you drive the redline/gxp versions? If not, then don't talk about them being underpowered. It's like driving a base model 6cyl mustang, and complaining that mustangs are underpowered.

Back on topic though: chrysler makes awful vehicles.

6. thedguy

thedguy New Member

I'm honestly amazed Chrysler lasted this long, I'm even more amazed that the Germans could figure out how to make them worse. Every Chrysler made product my family has owned, has been a complete heap of shit. Nearly everyone I've known to have one, has a heap of shit as well. Some won't accept it because "it's got a turbo dude!" or they latch on to the glory days of the 440 and the Hemi.

I haven't driven either car, but I tried to sit inside one, and the interior plastics literally irritated my skin they were so bad. I'm not normally one to bitch about this, as I'm used to 80's Japanese cars, and I actually didn't have any problems with new Chevy's (other than being nothing special). Every surface that my arm or hands would actually have to touch was uncomfortable to say the least. I could stand to rest my arm on the door panel.

That was enough to make me not care to even drive it.

On the other hand, considering what it was meant to compete with and what it's supposed to emulate, bitching about it being underpowered is a bit dumb. Having a bad transmission is definitely a bad idea since it's not meant to be a powerful car that doesn't really need to be shifted to enjoy.

7. James May

James May OT Supporter

both are very similar,performance wise to their nearest competitor (miata) and offer more room for people taller than 5'4", and look much better IMO.

8. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

His single anecdotal experience is just as valid as your single anecdotal experience, so I'm not sure why you feel like you are the winner here.

Moreover, current reliability samples would indicate that more people have his experience than yours, so you may be wrong on a macro level.