Chronicles of Narnia

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Joe_Cool, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I'm going to be re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia starting next week, probably. They're pretty easy reads and I enjoy them. I'm having trouble getting immersed in Ringworld, and may just table it for a month or so.

This may sound kind of cheesy, but I was wondering if any of you would be interested in reading through it and discussing it as we go.

I'll be going in the author's recommended reading order: Starting with The Magician's Nephew.

Any takers? Or does this idea suck?

2. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

Good idea, but bad timing for me. I've been meaning to reread all those.

3. Hiero

Hiero New Member

I only have the Magician's Nephew and the Wardrobe book. I don't know what happens to the rest of the set.

4. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

I've been meaning to start reading it. I had actually started The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe a couple of months ago, but then I started my new job and haven't found the time to just sit and read.

Question: I've heard it is better to read the books in the order they were published. How different is it to read them in the order you plan on reading it in? I mean, I've got just the big book with the entire Chronicles of Narnia, and the order they are in is, what I assume, the order the author recommends... Is it better to read them that way?

In any case, I can try reading them along with you, but I make no guarantees how long it will take me, no matter how easy the reading is... Plus, this will be my first time reading any of the Chronicles of Narnia...

5. Kansas

Kansas Rise and destroy.

I would rather read them in the order that Lewis intended. Gotta always go with the author.

6. Joe_Cool

:dunno: I've always read them in the recommended order:
    The Magician's Nephew
    The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
    The Horse and His Boy
    Prince Caspian
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    The Silver Chair
    The Last Battle

I've enjoyed them very much in that order - the stories are chronological, and you get to know each group of characters better and better with each book. Not to mention the steady progression of the story of Narnia.

C.S. Lewis said that the books should be read in that order, even though it's not the order of publication, and I tend to agree that the intent of the person who created the story is usually the best way to experience it.

Of course, you can read them in any order you like. :) They're still great books.

7. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

I still pick up a copy of any one of them and read it. I'd be happy to discuss them with you.

8. backslide

backslide This space for rent. Inquire inside.

I read through them when I was in elementary school and haven't really read them since.

I do have a copy of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" on my bookshelf though.

I just started reading a Harry Turtledove book right now, but when I'm finished, I was thinking about picking up a boxed set and reading through the Chronicles again.

9. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

i lent my box set to an ex-gf a couple of years ago & she moved interstate.... i havent seen them since... :(

10. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Just out of curiosity, if C.S. Lewis intended readers to read the series in this order, why didn't he write/publish them in that order? I'm sure there's a logical reason, ie. he started something that grew into something bigger, etc etc... I'm just worried that by reading them out of published order, it won't seem as contiguous as it should, considering The Magician's Nephew was published five years and six books after The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe...

But, since I haven't read the books at all yet, I'll trust the judgment of those who have and start with The Magician's Nephew...

11. Joe_Cool

That's exactly my guess. I think LW&W was an idea that grew into the larger idea that became Narnia, Archenland, and Calormen.

No worries. There are people who like to read them in the original published order, just like there are people like me who like them in the chronological order. It's definitely not discontiguous either way. It just happens that in this case, the author recommends not reading them in the order published.

12. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Well, the author would know best, I suppose... And if I'm gonna participate in this discussion, I'll have to be reading the same thing as everyone else, so I will take your advice and read it in the chronological, C.S. Lewis recommended order. :)

13. astriom

astriom Guest

hmmm, yes... Although it doesnt com out and say it, I think their uncle is none other that the magician's nephew. Of course the residnece is probably different from the original, but that doesnt make much of a difference to the story line. It does explain how the wardrobe got there and how the White Witch knew to keep an eye out for sons of Adam and daughters of Eve... My still complete set has become an heirloom of sorts for my family passed down to me by my father. No one touches them but me because they are so old. I'm afraid someone will rip the covers off.

14. Joe_Cool

Yeah you're right. Later on in one of the books (I think it's the Last Battle) it does turn out to be Digory who owned the house with the Magic Wardrobe. In fact, I think it was made out of wood from the tree with the golden apples.

15. Joe_Cool

So now that it's been a couple months, does anybody have time to do this?

16. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

i still havent seen that slut bitch, so i havent read them again, no... :hs:

17. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

I think I may want to give it a shot... Nowadays, I'm so lazy when I get home from work. All I do is play on my computer and watch TV. So, maybe if I force myself to do something else, I will. So, I'm guessing we start from the very beginning?

18. Joe_Cool

How about if you were walking down the street and tripped over an e-book of the full series? Would you be interested then?

19. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

i bid for the series on eBay yesterday...
    i got sick of waiting & you talked me into it. :)

its all the books in one big, hardcover volume... :bigthumb:

20. Joe_Cool

Nice! I saw that at Hastings over here. It was like $50. That's a lot for one book, but then I paid $49 for the 7 paperback box set. LOL So it's really not a bad deal.

21. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

lost the auction... :squint:

bidding on another one which is all 7 books spread over 3 hardcover volumes.

i wont lose this time! :x:

22. Joe_Cool

Aw, that sucks. Get that bastard.

23. awesome

I thought I was the only one that wanted to read the Chronicles Of Narnia again. My dad used to read these books to me as a child. Then in seventh Grade I took the initiative to read them again. I found one of my books the other day and was thinking about finding the rest of them and reading them over again.:blue:

24. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

thats better be the fucking shit. i read those stories as a kid and i have a very good image of what they should come out to look like. hopefully that won't be shattered.

25. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?