Chronic lifting migraines / tension headaches

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Cobra Commander, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

So i've been going to the gym since Feb of this year when i was in kuwait and ive been stickin with it ever since i got back.

The past few weeks it seems whenever i am doing ANYTHING involving lifting--it feels like somebody is driving a railroad spike into my fuckin head.

Has anybody had this before? What did you do about it?

I've tried taking Excedrin 30 minutes before i go but that doesn't work at ALL.

I'm still in the service so i am going to try and get a Cat scan sometime this month.

Any suggestions?

2. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

There was a three week period where I'd get them up the back of my head regardless of the type of workout I was doing. Since I was also developing tendinitis in my arm, the doctor told me to back off the workouts until the swelling went down. After I got back into it the headaches never came back :dunno:

3. Hunt

Hunt Active Member

Pretty sure i've gotten these. Was doing some intense leg presses and all of a sudden a shooting pain up the back of my neck and into the back of my skull. I sat there perfectly still for a minute in a lot of pain wondering if i was paralyzed or not :o. Haven't gotten one since then though.

4. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I hurt my neck like a month ago and for a few weeks after I'd get random, short headaches that would only end when i'd lay down and let my neck rest. :dunno: did you hurt your neck?

5. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

exertional headaches

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Take a week or so off of lifting and then get back in the gym to see if the problem is still there. If it is, i'd see a doctor about that CAT scan.

7. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

related to blood pressure spikes?

8. I have had this before and i was freaking out. it happened a couple of years ago. Magic 8 ball says it happened first when you were benching right?

It is a result of a pulled muscle at the top of your neck that pinches a nurve and sends shooting pain into the back of your head.

Take a week off. When you come back.... lift lighter, especially anything that you are laying down for. Concentrate on breating out when you are pressing weights. Holding your breath increases pressure and you don't want that.

You will be ok, take some rest and come back lighter. I did a million searches on this, and ended up going to the dr. because the pain was to the point where i felt like i was going to pass out.

9. Request.

Request. OT Supporter

Probably, most headaches are vascular in nature. The throbbing is from vasodilation. It feels like your heart is in the middle of your head.

There is a chance that it's coming from the suboccipitals though. If it's coming from the back of it his head it probably is.

Where does the pain start and where does it end up?

10. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

Well just like 90% of the responses said in here--i've taken the week off. As SOON as i quit going to the gym the headaches went away and i feel like a million bucks. I am going to hit the gym again on monday and just like tom said--i'm gonna lift lighter.

Thanks for the imput guys--It really helped.

11. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

i get em in the back of my head...usually when i'm coming back from being sick and im still a little congested.

12. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

get hydrated, take a few weeks off, stop taking creatine if you are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.