christophers routine?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by nwmrkt, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

This may sound like a dumb question but to perform his routing all that is needed is a adjustable bench, weights, and a barbell correct?

2. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

squat rack :o

3. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

You need:

Adjustable Bench
    Squat/power rack
    Olympic barbell/weights
    Dumbells
    Pullup bar

Probably forgetting something, but that's about it.

4. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

While we're on the subject, can someone explain to me exactly what a "base" is and what having one does for your training?

5. xpinchx

If you have a good base, it's like you have a good foundation to build up your individual muscles using isolation. Base strength basically refers to your core strength... Your legs, abdomen, back, and most importantly, the 3 used together. You can't build a mansion on a dirt foundation, and you (shouldn't) put huge biceps, chest, etc on a dinky frame. Having a good base for weight lifting will be synergistic to any other weight training you plan on performing.

6. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

lol @ using "base" to explain what a "base" is.

7. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Good base for... steroids? :noes:

8. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

Is the power rack really nessercary? What is I use the bench to hold the bar while I squat?

9. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

I've done that before. It it kind of scary at higher weights so I'd recommend going lighter on those if you choose to go that route.

10. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Clear out yours PMs :squint:

11. xpinchx

My weight bench/set at home has adjustable crutches and they go high enough for me to use for squats. I have to back up into it to pick up the weight, step forward to squat, then back up into the crutches to put the weight down.

12. pctony

pctony Alyson > *

sorry... all your base are belong to us :hs:

13. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Aw, head to the log then?

14. cls

I don't understand the calculus anology... you can't do calculus at all with knowing algebra, trig, etc. But you can still do a squat, deadlift, or snatch with a limited amount of strength... you just use less resistance.

Do you do a routine like christophers' because it will strengthen certain muscle groups that won't be strengthened (as much) by doing a westside or body builders routine? And when these muscles are strong/big enough, you have your "base" and can specialize on other muscle groups?

Sorry for the basic questions, I just never really understood what a base was or why I didn't have one.

15. xpinchx

As far as focus on muscle groups, christopher's routine is closer to westside than bodybuilding. Instead of focusing on vanity muscles, it focuses heavily on the big 3: deadlifts, squats, and bench. The calculus analogy isn't a perfect one, but what he said is basically true with any other skill. You can't be great at anything until you're great at the basics.

16. xpinchx

:werd: Just lift the weights and eat the food.

17. cls

:dunno: I don't like to waste my time. It's a lot easier to ask a question on a message board than train for a base for months only to realize that I didn't need it, or vice versa.

18. cls

That makes sense, thinking of building a base as getting good at the basic movements rather than strengthening muscle groups.

I know some olympic lifting coaches will have their athletes only train the main lifts and not even use the high pulls, drop catches, etc until they're at a pretty advanced level.

Thanks for the input :coold:

19. blam

blam New Member

cls_terp, to me this is building a 'base':

-Getting the muscles in your body most responsible for generating force and stabalizing to a certain level of strength.

-Build up a certain amount of work capacity: say the first monday of Chris ' routine you DL 200 pounds and squat 100 for 5x5. I guarentee that this load will leave you sore and drained. At this point your WORK CAPACITY is essentially zero. Fast forward however long and on your last monday of the program you DL 300 and squat 250. You feel equally as drained after but you have lifted a lot more weight at a higher intensity(most likely). Your work capacity has increased a ton. You just cant build up that type of capacity dicking around w/ DB curls and Tricep Extensions all the time.

-Certain muscles SHOULD BE STRONGER. Your glutes/hams/back/chest/abomdinals should be solid. If you are starting out a bbing routine that gives equal volume to your calves and biceps as to your hamstrings is stupid. Such a basic routine helps you focus on getting strong what SHOULD be strong. Your biceps/tris/etc. will also grow but in proportion to your full-body strength.

Westside when you are just starting out is dumb imho. It is like killing a fly w/ a submachine gun. It is just more complicated then you need and it really wont produce the best results at this point. People forget most of the ppl at westside were STRONG AS HELL before ever using a conjugated program. Hell Wendler had 11 years of training behind him before he ever went to WS. People seem to ignore that a lot of the people who follow conjugate programs used something much simpler in the beginning to get strong as hell.

20. cls

You assume this because think about it and ask questions before I jump in headfirst?

Anyways, I've done this routine before, I just didn't understand what a base was or when I would have it, so I eventually went back to a upper/lower 4 day split.

21. blam

blam New Member

terp, this isnt the only program that you can use to build a base. It is not like it has something special that doesnt exist in any other routine. A routine that is about 'building a base' imho contains the following things:

-95%+ of the volume on the compound lifts(Squats, Bench, DL, MP)
    -As simple as possible while still getting the job done
    -High intensity(aka atleast some work in a lower rep range eg: 5x5, 6x4, 4x6, 7x3, )
    -Some sort of priortization, probably linear b/c it is simple and it will work. This just means working on putting more weight on the bar week to week.

Hell a 4-day split could do the same thing if you setup right. It is the CONCEPT that counts and not the exact routine. Bill Starr has even written 4 day/wk routines that are similiar(chris' routine = Bill Starr routine from an article he wrote for a magazine)

22. cls

Cool thanks for the explanation.

So it sounds like I'm getting my work capacity up by doing lots of heavy compounds as well as strengthening muscles that aren't hit as much by more advanced routines (glutes, lower back, hamstrings, etc)... and that's my base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.