LGBT Christmas Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MapleLeaf, Dec 15, 2005.

1. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

Well shortly the magical day will be upon us. For some it is a time of celebration, others sadness and many a time of incredible pain. The comment about me being a gay Rosa Parks for standing up for my sexuality in another thread got me thinking about how different things are today; something very noticeable this time of year.

For many of you youngin on here ( :p ), acceptance by family and friends is all you ever really knew. You never grew up in a time where it was considered de rigeur to bash folks cause they were gay, and when the cops came, all they did was laugh and say you deserved it. No I am not saying that coming out is easy, and everyone accepts you, but overall society does a lot more. I can't count the number of family and friends who are not there anymore cause I dared admit to being gay. For some of my friends it is even worse.

In my eyes standing up for who I am, even though it cost me a job or two, was how it had to be. I could not stand there and be discriminated against because of the way I was born. You can't discriminate against others based on race, so it is time to stop it against sexual orientation as well.

As we enter this festive season, I do so with much trepidation. It is a time of year I truly despise. Normally I fly out somewhere and avoid it all - this year I have services on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day, making that very difficult.

This year as you celebrate the season with friends and family, take time out to remember those who have gone before you. I know many folks who have been shut out by their family because they are gay, disowned in so many ways, and may be spending the day alone. If it wasn't for my own family of choice, and a sister across the miles, I would have no family left myself. If you know someone who is alone because they are just not accepted, why not invite them to your social gathering, if you can. Even if they say no, the fact you cared enough to ask will give them a warm feeling like you can't imagine. I will never forget my first Christmas waking up with no gifts from anyone because they didn't agree with my lifestyle. Spending the day with just my dog and a couple of bottles of wine, and phone calls / sharing with friends in similar situations. It is a day I will never forget.

Also remember that this is a time of strong family pressure and very stressful for many. Suicide attempts go up around this time of year. Imagine being bombarded with media telling you to celebrate the holidays with your family and knowing that they will not let you in the door, or if you do go, it will be non-stop harassment and bashing for who you are, who God made you. Lend an ear or share a cup of coffee with someone who may be in that situation.

I am not trying to preach here (I do enough of that on Sunday's), but I am asking that each and everyone of you enter this Christmas season remembering what it is all about. New beginnings and a time of coming together in community. When the only community one might have is other glbt or accepting friends, be an active part of that person's community and make sure it is a positive remembrance for them.

Blessings,
    MapleLeaf

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  2. TommyBoiSxty9

TommyBoiSxty9 here, but I'm really gone

fabulous deep thoughts by MapleLeaf :hug:

:bigthumb:

3. pokeitatme

pokeitatme New Member

Mapleleaf, what a wonderful thought. Most people get so wrapped up in what needs to be done or trying to rush to their "real" friends outings for the holidays, but like you say, we all need a friend. Don't forget to reach out to others not only during this holiday season but always.

4. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

Much love to my gay brothers and sisters on here...

And much love to those who struggle with their friends and family due to their sexuality.

There's so much sadness and hurt out there... We need to be examples of love, even to those who hate us...

Thanks, Mapleleaf for those wonderful words... I will implement your ideas this season...

Love you all
    Chris (sam)

5. BlondieAMC

BlondieAMC New Member

Wonderful words for this Season.
    But not only for this time of year but all throughout the year. It's to easy to forget the little things in life.

Happy Holiday's to all of the FAMILY
    I hope each of you has a wonderul holiday this year.

6. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

Bump.

The two magical days are upon us. Today I make life a bit easier for another living being by taking in a 15 yr old foster doggie from the humane society. I will of course reach out to those who need only a simple, kind word tonight at midnight service, and tomorrow as I go about life.

Keep others in your thoughts and prayers. Be that friendly voice they may need to hear. Be your own version of Santa.

And to each and every one of you - have a warm, safe blessed Christmas (or holiday if not Christian).

7. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Season's Greetings to one and all... I hope everyone receives their hearts' pleasures this year, but remember to give it as well. :kiss:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005