Christ. The suspense is killing me...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, May 7, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I won't recieve my G5 until early next week, but my 23" cinema display arrived Thursday. So I have to stare at this gorgeous blank screen for almost a week!:wtc:

I'm having everything delivered at my work. So when it arrived there were lots of "ooh's" and "aahh's". But since the box is huge they thought it was the computer until I told them it was just the monitor. :) I busted it out & hooked it into the G5 at work and it's just incredible. The buttons on the side are touch sensitive. So you just place a finger over it & adjust the brightness & on/off. It's so crisp & vivid that you just wanna dive in.

2. Halon X

Halon X New Member

Sounds like a great setup, your gonna love it!

What speed G5 did you get ?

3. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Dual 2.3 w/the same specs as Apple's site. Only upgrade I made was the 256mb videocard. I'll buy more RAM later and I have a 160gb drive from my PC I'm going to throw in an external case & run through firewire as backup. I'll get a bigger SATA later.

4. MBC

MBC Guest

5. Squally

Squally New Member

man, if they pull that on me, I'll be living in the longest week of my life. As is, I'm not placing the order for mine until August when I get back. Dual 2.7 2gb ram 23" screen :drool:

6. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

I can kinda smypathise. My friend just ordered an Ibook (or a Powerbook, one or the other...), and his lock, software package, AND speakers have shipped, but not the actual laptop.
    He's going insane.

7. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I guess how it works is that if you don't pick a preconfigured setup from the site then the computer will come directly from the factory in China where it's custom built. In my case, I upgraded the videocard to the 256mb version and have paid the price. :(

I have the HKSSII coming Monday, an external drive bay the same day or Tuesday (for my 160gb PC drive) and the actual computer either that day or Wednesday.

Then I start paying for it. :) Any freelance work I get is going to the payments.

8. Fubar

Fubar OT Supporter

I have a 23" Cinema Display at work...it's sad when I come home to my 17" CRT. :wtc: What kind of work do you do?

9. Skoles

Skoles Guest

My full time job I'm a graphic designer for a sign company (SignDesign). We do stuff from vehicle lettering & digital prints to massive banners for companies like Reebok, Patriots & Fenway Park.

I work part time for Exoticar taking photos of the cars and designing the catalog (just this current one). Some examples of my photography on that site are item #'s M045, M047, BBR118, [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]70902, 70911. I've taken many more, but I take detail shots of the more expensive ones.

And when I'm done with that I do any freelance work I may have (logos, site designs, vehicle graphics, etc). I've turned down a good amount of work over the past few months because the computer I currently use (PIII 500) can no longer handle much of a workload.

With the G5 I hope to take on much bigger projects & get back into 3D animation & video editing as well as dabble in music. It would be great to finally update my website with new work. I haven't touched it in 5 years (my site)
    [/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]

10. Halon X

Halon X New Member

Waiting a week to get the exact specifications you want is definitely not paying the price.. Patience my friend... Patience.... Ordering the box stock and getting it the same day as your monitor, then finding out a week later that the 256MB video would have beter would be paying the price ;)

It will be well worth it in the long run and having to wait for it will only make it sweeter when it arrives..

11. Halon X

Halon X New Member

I just upgraded my Dual 2.5 to a Dual 2.7 and the increase in speed, although not huge is definitely noticeable.

12. Squally

Squally New Member

Yea, this is my first Mac, so I'm deciding to go large, especially since it will be my editing machine.

13. Halon X

Halon X New Member

What kind of editing are you going to be doing?

I found that 2GB wasn't quite enough RAM with Final Cut Pro HD and Motion. I was running 4GB and upgraded to 6GB when I purchased the Dual 2.7. No chance of problems now :)

14. Skoles

Skoles Guest

What can I do on it when I do the "so I went out for a gallon of milk" thread in OT?

I was thinking VirtualPC (if I can find it), I have Adobe CS, gonna get either Maya, 3DsMax or TrueSpace, Doom 3 (eek, a game!). Something just to start the typical mac>pc flamewar. I have the screenshot my friend took of the total after his discount. So it'll be great for the "I can build a cheaper PC" folk.

BTW, what's a good Mac torrent site? I've used TS for a while, but the Mac section is generally slim.

15. hootpie

hootpie New Member

What you do is open every application you have, use Expose to thumbnail them, take the screenshot, post it up then say Mac > PC :rofl:. Last time I did that my thread went to 10 pages.

16. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Yes. That thread is fun. :)

17. Squally

Squally New Member

Final Cut and Motion heh. I'll be getting more when I get actually buy the system now that I've talked to a few more people about it, besides I'll have the extra cash to do so.

18. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i can't wait to order my dual 2.3. congrats. be patient!

19. Halon X

Halon X New Member

Check out the newsgroups.. Lots of good stuff there.

20. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Never got into the newsgroups scene.

21. Halon X

Halon X New Member

I was never really into them, and don't really use them for anything but downloading software/mp3's.

22. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

These days thats what a lot of the Usenet is for. So much of the discussion has moved away from the Usenet to web based forums. You still find discussion in the hard core techie areas, such as computer science, engineering, etc.

23. Fubar

Fubar OT Supporter

TKA. But you need an invite...if I get one soon I can send an invite to you or maybe someone else here has one, there was a thread going where people were giving out invites...OR you can go here and see if you can get an invite. It's a great torrent site, nothing but stuff for Macs. :bigthumb:

24. Skoles

Skoles Guest

God damnit! My Harmon Kardon Sound Stick II dildo's came today along with an external HD kit.

Well, at least I got to hook the speakers up on my work computer. Fuck me do these things sound good. $120 new through Amazon.com

Just checked FedEX today and they're estimating delivery on May 13th :(. It was shipped out the 6th. So long to wait....but it'll make a sweet belated birthday gift to me.

25. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

glad you like the HKSS2s i love mine :wiggle: :bigthumb: