GUN Chose a Glock for Market Garden

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Feb 23, 2009.

?

Which Glock?

1. G17

15 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. G19

37 vote(s)
    59.7%
  3. G22

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. G23

9 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. So after taking my Defensive Handgun class this weekend with my Spartan I have come to the realization that I want a dedicated SHTF/combat style pistol. While I do like the 10mm it is rather expensive and ammo isn't always available. I want something that uses very common ammunition and has a higher capacity than my 1911. I also like the simplicity and reliability of the Glock. I'm really leaning to something in the .40 or 9mm world. Vote in the poll and add any thoughts in the thread.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The 40 has the advantage that you could shoot uspsa/ipsc limited with it. For a truely dedicated fighting gun I like the glock 19. Can be CCW'ed and you can get those awesome G18 mags for them for SHTF. One of the few big sticks that run out the packaging with no tuning, no nonsense, they always work.

3. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

The 23 is a great gun and extremely versatile.
    You can swap just a G32 barrel and shoot .357sig.
    With a barrel and mag swap you can shoot 9mm as well.

4. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I'd go with the 19.

5. Yeah, this is really the struggle I'm having internally.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

g17, sweet trigger, red dot sight

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Glock 19 shoots cheap ammo, can be reloaded even cheaper. I ran Glock 17 mags in mine for speed steel today, never missed a beat.

If you're not going to carry it, minus whale get a 17 though.

8. My dad just pointed out to me that I could just use my 10mm and kill the first guy that I come across that has a 9mm and then take his gun.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

While some people say they can get a 9mm conversion to run well with just a barrel and mag change I recommend they also change to a 9mm extractor and ejector housing. While the conversion seem to run ok as a range toy I'm hesitent to recomend them for serious competiton or as a defensive gun. Even with all the correct 9mm conversion parts there is still a small issue of a different breech face.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

You could always use the 9mm to shoot production or shoot limited minor.

It's just so much fun to shoot ipsc with high caps. You just have so much more versitility in your target engagement when your not forced to make a mag chage at every array.

11. I'd like to give it a try. Really, I still love my Spartan and would continue to use it as my main competition gun, but the role of this Glock would be SHTF and training and just for fun.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

How about cutting a g17 grip to g19/g26 size if you want to carry it to?

13. Between the G29 and the 340PD I really don't need another carry gun.

14. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

I voted 19. I'd say it's my SHTF gun. 9mm is widely available. The 19 is arguably one of the most popular pistols out there. 19 gets the edge over the 17 due to the fact that if you find 17 mags you are good to go with both in the 19.

I really want to make my new 20 my SHTF gun but like you said 10mm isn't likely to be ran across easily.

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I really liked the size/balance of my cut-down 17. Didn't really carry it much, but I didn't think the extra slide length made any difference. The 19 length grip sure helped though.

I'd love to be able to take my 17, and cut the grip down shorter than a 19 length, but include a modest magwell that fits G19 mags flush. Basically, a 19 that had a longer barrel, and a magwell that was "flush". Just strikes me as a rather handy size.

Yar, you ever seen anything like that? Any magwells exist for Glocks that aren't huge, and would work if you cut down the grip to odd sizes?

For reference:
    [​IMG]

Think maybe that magwell, only flush fit to use G19 mags.

16. Yeah, this is my exact thinking. I have a couple hundred 10mm, but I really wouldn't expect to be able to come across a large quantity of 10mm. Also, I'd rather be buying 9mm if I'm shooting a lot.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't see any reason not to go full size if it wont be carried.

18. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

if there's a chance you'd carry it.. g19. otherwise, g17.

19. I see that the G19 has a big lead over the G17. Is there any advantage to the G19 if I don't intend to CCW this gun at all?

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

We've (glockworx) talked about this when discussing our carbon fiber frame. Really the way to do it would have to be a intergrated magwell for a 19 lenght mag. We have bolted dawson magwells onto 19's but it's just weird because the way your pinky is on the magwell.

I was thinking if you were to cut a 17 you could cut it longer than the g19 mag then flair it slightly by heating the grip, then flairing it outward. Kind of like the Sevigny speedway. I think the two most critical parts would be not to have the stupid notch in the bottom of the front strap, and to fill that back channel and create a ramp there. To me those are the two areas that hang when you do a sloppy reload.

http://www.southpawcustom.com/speedway.htm

Doesn't seem to be really difficult. Just some epoxy mixed with filler and dremel and cratex till it's smooth.

21. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

I'm still pulling for the 19 due to the fact that it can use all the common 9mm glock mags. I'd be pissed if I had a 17, somehow lost all my mags but one and came across a few 19 mags. Not that this is that likely but still something to think about. I like Phrozen's idea of a cut down 17, I've always wanted to do this but can't bring myself to it. I'm still waiting for that day I run across a cheap first gen to do it to.

22. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Hmmmm.... Yeah, I like your idea better. I had heard you mention the Sevigny speedwell before, but hadn't ever seen a picture of it. Looks like a pretty good way to get a better/bigger magwell on a Glock without getting into race style magwells, and the associated increases in girth.

23. So, is there a compelling reason to go with the G19 over the G17? The G19 looks better, but looks really don't matter when functionality is the key.

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well the longer sight radius and the extra muzzle velocity of the 17. How much either of those are in advantage is debatable. For a competition gun I would want a 17 or 34. For a fighting gun where you are going to be indexing, concerned about size and weight the 17 and 34 are less of an advantage.

25. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

17 if you're not going to CC it.