choppy video

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alex p. keaton, Sep 30, 2003.

1. alex p. keaton

alex p. keaton OT Supporter

ok...im running a mx440 gf4 vid card on a 2000+ xp and the video is really choppy. i have updated the drivers but it still has not changed the performance. i know the card isnt the greatest, but i dont pc game much and i just want the motion to be clean for movies and what not. i mean, even the scroll on winamp and my screen savers are choppy. can anyone help? thanks!

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Which OS? How much ram does your computer have? What things are running in the background?

3. alex p. keaton

alex p. keaton OT Supporter

running xp pro and 512 ram. it can even have nothing running in the background besides the usual programs, and it would still have the same problem. any ideas?

4. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

Disk access speed can be a serious factor in playing large videos... Try Defraging first, then ehh im not sure.

5. irichie

irichie New Member

hmm .. maybe check the card to see if the fan on is running or if there is a lot of crap on the heatsink. could be a overheating problem. I know when my radeon 9700tx overheats even my start menu starts to lag.

Also maybe try installing the newest version of directx? Video shouldnt be choppy on that kind of setup. My 800mhz P3 thinkpad with 8MB vid card plays smoothly. :dunno:

6. sm0ke

sm0ke OT's Stargate expert.

also run a virus and spyware check.
    you could be running all kinds of things in the background and not even know it.

1:virus check
    2:spyware check
    3:defrag

might even want to remove any programs you don't use anymore before you defrag. sometimes they have little things that run on start-up.