Choose My Next OS!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Mar 13, 2006.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

OK, I'm conflicted. I'm addicted! I love checking out all the stuff the free world has to offer. I started with Ubuntu, after getting bored with Windows (thanks for the helping hand into the world of GNU/Linux, Penguin Man!). About four months of satisfaction, I was getting nervous; so many things had updates, and Ubuntu wasn't pushing them. While most were minor (Firefox 1.5 instead of 1.5.0.1, or amaroK 1.37 instead of 1.38), I felt antsy not having the latest and greatest.

I was going to got the route of Debian, father of Ubuntu, but my plans were intercepted when someone told me about Arch Linux; A speedy version of Linux tailored to the i686 archtechure. After a few conflictions with X (the day I installed it X.org 7 came out, so my install guide was out of date... yeah... had some setting up issues, there), I got it going and I've been very satisfied with it. And boy... I'm up-to-date as all hells. If you see their stats on distrowatch, most of the whole list is green'd out in up-to-dateness. However, I have not gotten USB setup, a major drawback. I can charge devices, but not communicate them with the computer.

So I thought I would dabble on a little bit more with OSes. I was told Gentoo is the final GNU/Linux frontier... should I go that route? Or is it going to be too comparable to Arch that I will just be wasting time? Also, what is GNU/Hurd about?

And I finally want to scope out BSD. FreeBSD and OpenBSD are the two choices, and members here are pushing OpenBSD. However, I'm afraid that, if my USB devices won't work in Arch... will they work in OpenBSD? Also, will it be a whole new set of lingo to learn?

2. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

If you are doing it for a hobby, learn Gentoo. I spent 2 years getting to know it very well, and you really need to be a hobbiest to enjoy it. Personally I got tired of fixing things. If you are doing it for job experience, learn Solaris or Debian. If you want a system that you never have to F around with get a Mac. I personally have a BSD firewall, Gentoo mediacener/fileserver, Win 2000 with VMWare for my virtual lab, and OS X on the desktop.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I swear you already did this thread. Some said OpenBSD. Some said FreeBSD. Why are you doing it again?

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Have you ever actually tried another OS for more than a day?

5. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

I used to use FreeBSD and OpenBSD, and both of them were to my liking. I used to use Unix for Counter-Strike servers. I heard that Solaris is pretty good as well, and I also recommend using SuSe. But imho, I enjoy using Win XP Pro, because it's easier and has more capabilities. *shrugs*. But it was fun when I used Unix and such. =]

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Have you tried OS X?

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Actually, there are no document compatability problems between Macs and PCs. None. Whatsoever. They use the same file formats.

As to games... the new Intel Macs run XP within OS X very well, so thats not really an issue anymore either.

As to price, you'll find that the prices are comparable for a Mac and a high end workstation, which is what they are.

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Ah, yes, RedHat, there's your problem. RedHat is ass.

9. wparsons

wparsons New Member

How long did it take you to get familiar with windows??? Linux isn't harder to learn, its just something new, and most people that are comfortable with windows don't want to take the time to learn anything new.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Redhat is a piece of shit. I used it for years because I didn't know any better.

SuSE, Debian, Gentoo or Ubuntu ftw.

11. wtfmate

wtfmate OT Resident mafia insider

you missed slackware son!

The oldest still maintained distro!

12. wtfmate

How bout "Linux from scratch" ??

search the FAQ on the net, that will keep you busy.

13. wtfmate

14. Penguin Man

Slack is the shit for customization, from what I've heard. They run a very heavily-customized version of slack on all our lab machines at school, since it's easy to push out and maintain.

15. wtfmate

QFTMFT!!!

I have 3 systems here, all running slackware, I <3 it, I did since 1996/7 when I 1st tried and I;ve tried alot of different distros. Still have gentoo and arch to play with.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

But not suitable for his needs.

17. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i dont get why people wanna switch OS so much. why not just stick with one or two that works? windows and OS X? whats with trying ever flavor of *nix OS out there? :dunno: dont make sense to me...

18. Penguin Man

Meh, it's worth trying some new things every once in a while. I've been running Linux as my desktop OS for about 8 years now, but I've gone through a few distros in that time, and I've experimented with various things within vmware. I'm very happy with Ubuntu right now.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Linux is what suits my needs best for hosting Samba, a SQL database, apache, tomcat, eclipse and subversion. OS X or windows couldn't do it on the hardware I've got it on. Its the best solution, is why I use it.