GUN CHL = Warnings for Speeding?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by skeletor25rs, Oct 12, 2007.

1. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

Seriously, I've gotten out of so many tickets in the last three years. Three in the last month going 10+ mph over the limit. I guess my foot hs been a little heavy.

I also haven't had any tickets in the last 4 or 5 years, so that may help.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I've only been pulled over once a couple years back and I was driving a state van from my university so I think that's why I got let off, I think I was doing like 80 in a 70 and 2AM.

3. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Yes sir, no sir, both hands on the steering wheel and flip the dome light on at night will get you a warning more often than not.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:dunno: I dont bother telling them, doubt it would help here just end up with you being detained longer.

5. skeletor25rs

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

I hand it to them with my DL, keep both hands visible and point to where the gun is in the door and insurance in the console. Occasionally a younger officer will run the gun's numbers. Most don't bother.

I thought I remebered from the class that you're required to tell them.

6. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

It depends on what state you're in. Some states require you tell the officer, other states you don't have to. I always do out of courtesy. Plus in OR, when they run your license plate it comes back registered to someone with a CHL.

7. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

:greddy:

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I've been pulled over twice since I've had my CCW.

First time was 85 in a 55. Got a warning.

Second time was illegal tint. Got a warning.

My brothers both get really pissed if you have a gun and don't tell them, so I figure most officers are like that. I just hand it over with my DL.

edit: oh, and I do the car off, windows down, hand on steering wheel and other hand with keys out the window. Both officers made a note to thank me.

9. skeletor25rs

I usually turn the truck off, but it didn't start this morning so the powerstroke isn't getting any breaks today. :mad:

10. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

Not around here.

11. 4fifths

4fifths God of Bartons

My roommate got stopped. The told him his CWP was expired and then asked if had was carrying.

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I haven't gotten pulled over since I got my CCW. :o

*knocks on wood*

13. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I always try to get completely off the road, especially if it's a busy highway. My father being a police officer for 28 years I heard too many stories of officers being hit while doing traffic citations.

I get into a private parking lot. I roll my window all the way down, turn the car off, and have my driver's license and insurance sitting in my lap before the officer gets to me. If its night I turn on my dome light.

Hands on the steering wheel always, period.

Several officers have thanked me and just told me to slow it down a little. One wanted to know where my radar detector was (legal in the state) and didn't believe me when I said I didn't have one because he knew there was no way I could have spotted him where I was. I said I just saw the 'ram' guard on the front of the car sticking out and immediately slowed down. He said I was 'an observant little bastard' and wished more people paid that close attention on the road.

I also had one officer want to look at my engine and everything. I was worried since I don't have catalytic converters and I have turndowns (both illegal) and he was just more interested in the car than anything else.

14. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

I haven't been pulled over since I started carrying (knock on wood).

I have no plans on revealing the presence of my weapon because I am not required to do so, it's none of their damn business and it may get me a warrantless search of my vehicle.

15. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

In florida I know you don't have to tell them, but at least some people I talk to seem to thing it would be a good idea to let them know on your own terms rather than them finding out in an unpleasant manner (for you) I've just been told car off windows down and concealed permit and DL between your fingers hands out the windows palms toward the officer.

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

after reading all this, my state must be the only state in the country for the cops to ask you to get out of the car and walk towards them :o

17. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Logic is a problem with the general populace.. is it that much of a stretch to occur in the thin blue line?

18. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I would think that would be a good way to get shot in most states.

19. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:rofl:

That's a little extreme...

20. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:rofl:

Again with this hands out palms facing officer thing is quite funny. I didn't realize so many people did this.

21. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I thought so too, but my friend got out of a 95 in a 55 ticket right in front of my very eyes and he said that was the key. I don't mind taking that extra step if it works :dunno:

22. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Its what they are supposed to be looking at to see if something is about to go down, I've never had to do it, but it makes sense, put the officer at ease quickly.

23. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

you're probably right. both times i got pulled over in TX the cops approached me in the car but every time ive ever been pulled over in LA (alot of times. :o) i've been asked to step out of the vehicle.

24. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I don't pull into a dark parking lot, I pull into a lit parking lot. Usually a convinence store or something that's got lights. Officers almost always thank me for this and my father (again, a 28yr veteran) said him and all of his friends would rather people do this.

Not to mention that flashing lights don't (in Oklahoma) give an officer any sort of ability to immediately take down a car. There have been numerous stories, especially when we had problems with people impersonating unmarked patrol cars, of people who chose to pull into a populated parking lot or even go all the way to a police station before stopping.

So, in summary, I don't break any laws by pulling into a more populated or lit place and all I do in doing so is give myself witnesses (in the event of an officer crossing the line, which CAN and DOES happen on occasion) and gives the officer witnesses as well as well as increased lighting and a much lesser risk of something happening involving another vehicle.

25. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Do not listen to this advice :rofl:

Think officer safety. Do not ever pull to the left and NEVER stop in the center lane. If you do so guarantee ticket around here for being a moron.

Also don't just stop in the far right lane :rofl