Chkdsk cause computer failure?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trlc463, Mar 8, 2007.

1. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

I was going through My Documents deleting files that I didnt need (docs, pictures).

I also had uTorrent running, in which I got a little baloon saying that a torrent failed and that I should run chkdsk.

Also, after closing Adobe Reader, I get a message saying something along the lines of the appliation closed because of insufficient memory (this was after I closed it)

I then tried to do a Disk Defragment but it said I needed to run chkdsk as well.

I do a quick google search, and follwed the directions on how to run it.

I opened my computer, right clicked on the C drive, went to properties, tools, and tried to run it, but it said it needed a restart.

I restart the computer... and nothing.

I have eMachines and all that was there was the big E logo.
    I then go into that horrible screen saying "Windows didn't Start properly and ..." so I chose "Start windows Normally." I see the blue loading bar, and then a Blue Screen of Death quickly flashes and I jump back to seeing the big E logo again, and return back to the "Windows did not start properly" screen.

I tried ALL selections - safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration and NONE WORK.

:wtc: I jinxed ,myself because I was getting ready to back everything up and this happened. The last time I was going to back everything up on an external HD, my house was broken into and everything was stolen :o

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice or HELP?
    Anything would be appreciated:hsd:

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Chkdsk or defragging can cause a Windows install to corrupt if your hard drive has bad sectors on it. You *may* be able to do a repair install of Windows over your current install to atleast get it up and running. Since SP2 repair installs of Windows appear to actualy work :eek3:. Just make sure you don't format the drive before you have your data off it.

If you don't want to do a repair install then put the hard drive in another computer and pull off whatever data you need then either format the entire thing or buy a new one. If sectors have actually gone bad on the HD and you format it it's likely that this problem will happen again in the future.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

see if you can get a hold of spinrite, it might fix the bad sectors.

throw the hard drive in the freezer and then in an external case and see if you can get anything off of it

i hate to say it, but you should have backups of your backups

sucks, sorry

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Slid's explanation is a little off. CHKDSK won't cause a Windows install to corrupt if Windows overlaps some bad sectors on the hard disk, but rather CHKDSK will accelerate the impending corruption of the damaged files by moving them. It's sort of the digital equivalent of stepping on a rotten floorboard.

That said, a Windows Repair is a very good first attempt at fixing the problem.

5. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

orly?

chkdsk /r is usually my first route. about 60% of the time it'll resolve a boot issue, and if not, i continue on to the windows repair..... :dunno:

6. deusexaethera

I can't recall a single instance in which CHKDSK has fixed a problem for me, whereas I can recall several instances in which it took a badly-behaving system and sent it straight to the repair shop -- but then again, the only time I've ever run it manually (as opposed to once a week, automatically, on our servers at work) is when shit really starts acting strange.

I suppose it stands to reason that it might only report severe problems, and otherwise it fix minor repairable shit without making a peep, because that's kind of the direction Microsoft has been going with their software in the past few years.

7. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

ive done a checkdisk before, for maintenance procedure, and ended up getting a BSOD and had to reformat.

in winxp too

8. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

we did a chkdsk at work here after one of the raid5 drives failed and noticed some weird behavior with the filesystem...

it didnt even come close to fixing it...IMO it made things worst

permissions got lost
    tons of files became empty
    and shit got moved around

never again

9. deusexaethera

Like I said, I think it might be an issue where the stuff that's fixable with no collateral damage is taken care of automatically these days, so by the time you need to run CHKDSK, it's usually already too late.

10. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

So I'm trying to think of what to buy here...

Should I get another hard drive, stick it in the same computer, install windows, and then try to see if I can get the other drive to work and just move data to the new one?

Or should I just move the "corrupted" hard drive to a different computer, and see it it will boot from there/see if I can get any info from there?

Thanks for all the info!