Chiropractor?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by T-R-T, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Anyone use a chiropractor? All of a sudden one of my shoulders is higher than the other and my mom is saying to try a chiropractor.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

chrios are the shit

3. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Dad went for some lower back pain and said they take xrays first to see exactly what's wrong then they make some "adjustments".

4. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

i want my back cracked.

5. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Do it yourself. Hang from a pullup bar and breathe from your stomach for about a minute, great for decompressing your spine. Recommended to me by my moms friend who is a good neurologist/back doctor.

6. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

I want to hang by my feet and have something on the floor that I can grab with my arms and pull.

7. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

You weigh the same as me and it works for me to hang the regular way...just make sure you are completely relaxed... But true, hanging upside down would make it easier.

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

i want my thoracic area mobilized... i'm doing it slowly with a foam roller but i think if i just went in there and got it loosened I could just maintain it afterwards with postural awareness and mobility stuff that i already do. I went to a chiro/PT who didn't do anything for my spine (i visited for shoulders specifically) who is also my mom's doctor... He used this little gun thing that pushes out a small hammer-like attachment into the vertebrae to loosen them... it looked really cool but my appointment had passed so i didn't bother asking to try it out.

9. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

You seem to really pay attention to your posture. I read the t-nation articles and I'm wondering what do you do for some of the things they mention like feet pointing out, femurs rotated inward, one hand hanging lower than the other, etc.?

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I just tried this.... maybe it's mental, but my back feels awesome at the moment :bigthumb:

11. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

helped with slight flexability in my hips

did nothing for my back which is why I went. :o

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I try to keep my toes pointed forward when I lift but I never think about it when I walk, which is something I should definitely do. My biggest postural problem (the only one I notice) is lack of mobility in the thoracic area and consequently a strong curve in the lumbar region (so it creates an exaggerated S-curve of the spine).... It's a lot better than it used to be but I see people all the time with perfectly straight spines (sometimes too straight) and I just want to get a little closer to that. The more straight the thoracic region is, the more open your rib cage is (more room for lung expansion/capacity), and also I'd imagine it makes you less prone to spinal injury to have the mobility, not to mention it just looks better to not look a little slouched over.

For my specific qualities I do the following:

-Routinely foam roll the spine, doing reverse-situps on the thoracic region to mobilize it (have to be very gentle on these or you could get hurt)
    -Stretch the hip flexors whenever I think to, and definitely before every squat/DL session
    -keep lower abs and glutes tight, gently, not hard flexing
    -tuck chin down gently
    -pull shoulders back and down

those are pretty standard things to do if your spinal curve is stronger than it should be.

13. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

A bunch of chiros are full of shit.

14. vtectyper

vtectyper New Member

chiros that do A.R.T. are the shit!

15. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Put it this way...If I had insurance, I'd go to the chiro a hell of a lot more often!

16. Mass

Mass Active Member

every 6 months or so, ill go in and they'll do that graffe (sp?) stuff on my front delts where they take a very blunt knife and grind it against my anterior detls to help break up adhesions and scar tissue, I recommend it. Your shoulders will be a lil bruised up for a couple days, but after wards, the improved ROM in your shoulders is very noticeable.

17. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

Not sure I trust chiropractic

18. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Going today at 5:30 :hsughno:

19. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

how much of a difference is there really?

it's not uncommon for one side of our body (trap area especially) to be noticably different in size when it's our nondominant side

20. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Well I didn't have it before. My left trap/shoulder/pectoral is higher and looks bigger and I'm right handed. I don't have any pain now but last week I did have some tightness in the left side of my back. I didn't work out yesterday and my girlfriend says it looks better but I figure the chiropractor can't hurt.

21. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Apparently I have mild scoliosis. Going back tomorrow for adjustments etc. :hs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.