"chip heatsink not detected"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Friend of my parents got this message on her computer and was advised by geek squad to buy a new computer. I was asked to setup her new computer so I did. In sitting down at the computer I moved the old computer and noticed the rattle and then found out what happened to it. I figured I could fix it and then she could give it to her church.

Looking inside it's obvious where the heatsink went. I aligned up the markings and used thermal adhesive to put it back on the board. The message still comes up though. Anyone know what's going on?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

northbridge/southbridge chip?
    does the heatsink have a fan? check if it's dead or unplugged
    if it's a passive heatsink, double check if you reseated it properly
    sometimes you need to reset cmos to make this message go away

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Advised by Geek Squad to get a new computer??? Do they realize those faggots work on commission?

As far as why the heatsink isn't being detected, my best guess is there's a switch or an electrical contact or something that isn't being closed by the presence of the heatsink, possibly because of contamination, though it's also possible there's a thermometer that isn't happy with the temperature it's reading. Try resetting the CMOS and see if that makes it happy.

4. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

Maybe it could be a virus?

I would just check the heatsinks as suggested.

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

No fan. Passive. Don't know how I could have reset it incorrectly. There is an (intel I think) chip on the MB. The heatsink sits on top. There is a gold triangle on one corner of the HS and a small L at one corner near the chip. Alligned those up and resat it.

Tried resetting cmos. There is no jumper, pulled battery, pushed power button then booted it back up. If I remember right that's how you do it. Same message.

Found out I can't go into bios either. Theres an f2 option for setup which It asks you to run but won't go into and your f12 option for bios which it wont go into either.

Don't see anything burnt on the board near the HS.

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I suspected the same thing but don't know where it could be. I didn't get 100% of the previous layer of HS off the chip on the board. Got about 95% but you could see there was a very thin layer still on there. (I lost my bottle of 95% Isoprople so I was using 70%.) There was also old thermal adhesive on the sides of the chip that I didn't take off. Maybe it's causing a bad reading.

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I think it's a Northbridge chip. It's probable the biggest chip on the board besides the CPU.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

does it look like this?
    [​IMG]

does it have that anchor clip?
    some mobo's use a wire, screw, etc,... that makes contact somewhere in the mobo to complete a circuit. this in turn becomes the 'sensor'.
    if it's missing,... you will get that error message

9. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Ok, that is probably what is going on. I've been wondering what the metal shaft going through the heatsink was for. I suspected the engineers didn't put it there because it looked good but figured it was used to 'torque' the heatsink off the board. I did see the anchors and again was curious as to what they were but didn't put much though into it.

BTW, yes that is exactly what it looks like.

My quesiton now would be. Do I need to take the heatsink back off and redo the seating because I didn't anchor it while it was wet. I'm assuming so. If so, I've heard this thermal adhesive is pretty tough though. I'm guessing I should take it off by twisting it.

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Apparently the little gold diamond on the heatsink isn't soposed to line up with the litte right hand traingle because I have it on there wrong.

Also, one of the anchor clips has been pulled off the board. It's missing. Since it's gone for good I'm wondering if I could use some board mount pins and solder them in there and then solder to the heatsink to complete the circuit. Guess it's worth a try. I'm sure the anchors help the heatsink dissipate heat by creating more force against the chip but I think they mainly serve as anchors so the chip doesn't fall off like it did before.

Any advice? It's welcome.

11. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

that's the circuit. each end of the anchor clip should be in contact from one soldered-down anchor to the other. it is what's telling the bios that a heatsink is installed or not. there's really no other way to detect the heatsink.

you can probably just bend a wire, U shaped, plug it in to holes (see pic below) solder it, then hook the anchor clip.
    this completes the circuit

[​IMG]

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I use paint thinner.

Oh shit, the hook loop broke off? Well, that's why the BIOS is crying about a heatsink not detected.