GUN Chinese SKS - C&R vs NFA?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phoenixTX, Feb 29, 2008.

1. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I have a friend that says his dad just gave him a couple of SKS rifles. One is apparently a Chinese Type 81 (stamped steel like a Type 68, rotary bolt, accepts removable magazines and has 3-round burst), and the other is a Type 81-1 (same as the 81 but with a side folder stock). These are still at his dad's place in Utah and he wants to bring them to Texas.

The problem is that these rifles have never been registered on a Form 4.

His dad told him that it's not a problem because they are C&R rifles and aren't subject to registration as Title II weapons "as long as they don't leave the state of Utah and go across state lines" :ugh:

I've already told him that the "state lines" don't have anything to do with it because we're talking about Federal law, not state law.

Is there anything I'm missing concerning NFA weapons and C&R status? Or is his dad full of shit and doesn't know the law?

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

He's full of shit.

3. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Also, is it possible to register a TitleII weapon on a Form 4 when it's never been registered previously? It hasn't been transferred since his dad acquired them 30 years ago or so and obviously history on an SKS would be difficult to determine/prove.

Do you just fill out the form and pay the tax and wait for the ATF to declare that you're good to go? Or is there going to be more involved if you try to just claim you own two NFA weapons?

4. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

Gimme his address, I'll drive over and pick them up so you two don't have to worry about it! :bigthumb:

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

It's an illegal firearm, he missed his chance to register them. It sucks, but that's how it goes.

6. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

They're illegal guns. Either turn them over or cut the receivers and sell the parts.

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

100% correct. Destroy the receivers and sell the rest of the parts.

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Are you SURE that they fire more than one round per pull of the trigger?

9. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I'm pretty sure that unless its listed under Section III of the C&R List (which it isn't,) NFA still applies

10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

yeah, he had the chance to register them in prior to May 1986. Everything after that cannot be registered. If he did register them and lost the paperwork, the ATF may be able to help replace it. If he didn't ever register them, he's now in possession of an unregistered machine gun. Either destroy them, or de-mill them in some way. Oh, and you can't just take the full auto parts out. It's still a machine gun according to the ATF, and always will be.