GUN Chicago police arrest handicap for having a gun...lawfully

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by halflife78, Dec 5, 2008.

1. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

I don't normally post these stories but this is just plain bullshit here. Found this on the Illinois gun support site.

http://icarry.org/index.php

A handicapped man from Chicago was arrested and charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. Chris Morley, a long-time and well-liked supporter of gun rights in Illinois, has been carrying his unloaded pistol for nearly a decade – ever since a law was passed to allow this form of carry.

Suffering from cerebral palsy and depending on a cane to walk, Chris Morley has been the would-be target of muggers numerous times. On these three or four occasions, merely reaching for his unloaded firearm was enough to scare the attackers away and possibly save his life.

Morley was not feeling well at work on a Monday, however, and had a coworker help him to an empty room to rest and feel better. As a matter of policy, paramedics were called. But not only did the paramedics arrive, but police in full tactical gear arrived too!

Morley’s personal belongings had been searched without warrant or probable cause and his unloaded pistol in his Maxpedition case had been exposed. Instead of going home as he planned after falling ill, Morley was on his way to county lockup! He was handcuffed to a wall for a few hours, processed, photographed, fingerprinted, stripped of clothes and belongings including his cane and glasses. Morley could not walk or see.

During his arrest, the police even had the nerve to accuse him of being drunk – at approx 10:00 AM in the morning. Morley has a speech impediment due to his condition, but as often happens the police assumed the wrong thing. Meanwhile, locked up in his rubber cell for over twelve hours, Morley listened as the prison guards watched movie clips on YouTube, feature film Walk the Line, news, late-night replays of Oprah and Doctor Phil, and finally the morning news came on. Morley’s wife, parents, and other loved-ones had no idea where he was. Luckily his sister got in contact with someone from the police department and told them Morley suffered from major medical problems.

Chris was not fed for nearly two days, given only 6 ounces of water as he was locked in the rubber room, and his hand was swollen from pounding on the door and asking for his medication and something to eat and drink. In the morning the guards put him in leg irons and manhandled him in order to get him to walk without his cane. He was taken to Mercy Hospital and chained to a bed for another 4 hours. After all that time he received one dose of his medication. Then it was back to the rubber room.

During lockup, guards asked him questions like, “What you carryin’ a gun fo” [sic]. “Don’t you know that’s not allowed in Chicago.” – Someone please tell this to the hundreds of gangbangers on the streets who have made Chicago #1 in murders nationwide this year, despite Chicago’s strictest-in-nation gun laws. Morley even saw gangbangers with “tattoos from their neck to their crotch” coming in and going out just about as fast the whole time he was there.

Eventually the arresting officers in tactical gear came and after Chris posted bond, took him to Northwestern Hospital and left him with the security department there for a compulsory psychological evaluation – no court order, not even a reason behind it. Being crippled, having been through all the criminal and mental health background checks necessary to own a carry a gun in Illinois, and deciding to exercise that right after having a valid FOID card is reason for a mental health screening? Come on!!! What about all of the actual sociopathic and truly sick individuals who actually commit crimes? Are they all taken for screenings? You guessed it – NOPE. But having cerebral palsy, being a law-abiding citizen with no criminal background, and carrying an unloaded pistol exactly as the law prescribes for your protection against such aforementioned violent and dangerous thugs – thwarting off multiple attacks without even pointing the gun let alone firing – this is reason to be checked out by a shrink?

The paramedics originally cleared Morley for his physical condition. They saw he didn’t need to go to the hospital (well, at least until he was locked up for nearly 48 hours without food, water, or medication). Morley was also cleared after the psych evaluation. After being released Morley had to walk a few miles with his cane to get to a bus stop and trek his way back home to his family.

Chris Morley has joined a growing number of Illinois Citizens who followed the law precisely to the letter, but were still persecuted for exercising their rights. Ask John Horstman, Roderick Pritchett, Shaun Kranish, or countless others. Although the defendants in such cases always win, the legal battle costs them incalculable damages.

One week following his arrest, the state revoked his FOID card and plainclothes officers from the Illinois State Police and Chicago PD (presumably Chicago’s “CAGE” unit) came to his house and confiscated all of his lawfully-owned firearms.

Morley has since had trouble finding a new job because of the arrest. Would-be employers do a background check and see the arrest – even though he has not been convicted yet – and deny him for that reason. This is Morley’s first and only arrest in his life. Now it has cost him his job, made him unable to find a new job, his reputation, and Morley is looking at lengthy and expensive legal proceedings.

Chris Morley is charged and is being vigorously prosecuted for a felony – Aggravated Unlawful Use of Weapons – when he never even used a weapon. Furthermore, the UUW and AUUW statutes specifically state:
    (c) This Section does not apply to or affect the transportation or possession of weapons that:
    (i) are broken down in a non functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

2. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Fucking hate Illinois, and hate the pieces of shit in Chicago even more.

3. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I wish Chicago would fall into the lake. I fucking hate this state. I suppose living here has saved me a few grand otherwise I'd have cans for my 10/22 and a suppressed SBR AR15.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

A couple things:

The guy that runs icarry is a bit of a nut.

I have not seen if there is anything else the guy is charged with. The only way to legally have a handgun in chicago is if you registered it there before 1982 and never let its registration lapse. I would like to know if his handgun was legal in chicago.

Fanny pack carry is legal by the letter of the law in IL but everyone here also knows that there are plenty of cases of it resulting in the carrier's arrest. Prosecution is at the discretion of each counties states attorneys office and they all think differently about it. You know you're playing with fire when you do it, right or wrong.

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Now that's fucked up.

6. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Yeah in michigan it's legal to open carry, but that won't keep you from getting arrested and released. Most cases it's not worth the trouble. Plus I remember reading somewhere about people getting tagged with brandishing and disturbing the peace for open carry. :dunno:

7. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Yeah it's pretty stupid. When I took my CPL class the lawyer told us it was legal to OC but he was telling us just that morning he had to drive down to get a client out and explain to the Michigan State Police that it's legal to open carry. :uh:

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I dont' believe there has been a successful prosecution for this alone. I'm not even sure if anyone has been tried for it, I think the charges are always dropped.

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

He can still sue for neglect. They practically starved the man.

Terrorists in Gitmo get better treatment than what this man got.

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

what is the fucking point of carrying an unloaded gun :ugh:

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats what I've always wondered especially given how risky it is to do so in IL.

12. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

You worked at Gitmo? :eek3:

13. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

He should and probably will get a bunch of cash from this. Even if he is guilty, he can get them on the treatment he received (no food, no water etc). I'm guessing (I'm not a lawyer or anything) that violates some civil rights. That means he can take it federal if necessary and pull it away from chicago PD friendly state courts.

14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i mean waht the fuck are you going to do, pull it on someone and hope they don't have a gun that actually has bullets to fucking shoot you? :rofl:

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The fanny packers call it "six seconds from safety" which seems like both a generous estimate for how quickly one can have such a gun ready and far too long to be useful in most circumstances.

16. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

This is no surprise at all. Both that most police hate private gun ownership, and that a lot of cops don't even understand the laws they purport to enforce.

17. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

is this true? if so...wtf

18. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Aren't these rooms suppose to be taped? If that tape goes missing that's on cops.

19. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

This stuff is a double-edged sword. On one hand I want to tell all the gun enthusiasts in commie areas to move to free states like TX / AZ / FL / etc, each of which has their own annoying laws but are far, far better than the DPRIL.

OTOH if everyone who likes guns leaves, who is there to lobby for improvement, regardless of actual hope? :hs:

20. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Yeah I've had the same thoughts.

Maybe it's time to just give up and let the criminals have california and illinois.

21. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I'm sure as fuck going to do everything I can to get out of this shithole state once I get my degree. SO many differences once I cross the river into STL.

It's time that we split Illinois into Illinois State and the District of Chicago. :o