Chevy paint

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by whelen1, Apr 17, 2006.

1. whelen1

whelen1 New Member

I had the opportunity to work on a coworkers '03 trailblazer that was SERIOUSLY swirled.

I worked my magic on it with megquires swirl remover (#9) x2 and a green pad, but was seriously depressed on how HARD their paint is. I knew the older models were tough to fix paint blemishes, but dayum not an '03.

Scott can you give some products that would help out the next time I run across a stubborn gm?

Also, it seems as though most of my buisness is dark colored cars (green, black, blue) and good combo's for specifically dark colors?

2. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

#9 isn't very aggresive at all especially with a polishing pad (all green pads I know of are polishing pads). You need to step up to a cutting pad and a more aggressive polish like DACP (if you want to stick to Meg's) or Optimum Compound (my favorite at the moment), or maybe even hyper depending on how bad. It isn't that the Chevy paint is hard, you just had too mild of an approach.

3. whelen1

whelen1 New Member

Yeah its a light cut/polish pad... Alright so I was taking the wrong approach. Thats why this forum is here. So your rec. a yellow or a black (for the most severe)

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

First, what brand of pad are we talking about here?

Seconedly, id take an agressive pad, and some heavy compound and go to work.

I prefer useing a Meguiers burgandy cutting pad, and Optimum Polish.
    I have yet to get some Optimum compound to try out, but ive heard nothing but good from it.

5. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Yeah, different brands use different colors for their pads, so we need to konw the cutting ability.

Buck O: I have Optimum's polish, compound, and hyper compound (just got the hyper, haven't cracked it open yet :o ), absolutely love em, my favorite polish ATM :big grin:

6. whelen1

whelen1 New Member

Im working whit a high speed polisher so from polish to heavy cut its: white, blue, green, yellow, black.

7. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

What polisher in particular? Are you using a rotary?

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I've used Optimum's Hyper Compound with a yellow Lake Country cutting pad on GM paint and the paint is so hard, even that combo finished down almost LSP ready. :eek3: Corvette clear is even harder!

Just FYI, the Optimum Polish that is used by GM at their plant in Arlington is basically a 50/50 mix of Optimum Polish and Compound. Works great on light swirls with a polishing pad and medium swirls with a cutting pad. Anything beyond that and I'd go with Optimum Compound or Hyper Compound.

Meguiars DACP #83 is also great on GM paints.

9. whelen1

whelen1 New Member

High speed polisher that I have had for years, adjustable from 2-6500rpm