Chevy Blazer Lift

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by P07r0457, Mar 1, 2005.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I bought a 1999 Chevy Blazer LS 4-door 4x4 as a toy to mess around with... I would like to do a mild lift, around the realm of 3". Suspension lifts, only... no body lifts. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I don't think they make a 3" lift... I think your stuck with a 2" superlift, or a 5" from trailmaster or I believe BDS just came out with a 5" lift for the non ZR2 s-series. Superlift also now makes a 6" lift for non ZR2 s-series. As far as not breaking the bank... the 2" superlift, and shackles in the rear are probably going to be your best bet.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, I saw the 5"/6" lifts, and they're out of my price range. I'll check out the 2" superlift... thanks!

4. IntheWorks

Just to let you know... there's a lot of back and forth argument about the 2" SL. Some say that it will chew up your CVs and spit them out. Others haven't had any issues with the lift and have been running it for years... so, just know you're going to run the risk of prematurely wearing front end components.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, I can't have it eating my CVs...

So am I correct to assume that there is no way to cost-effectively lift a blazer??? I can't spend $1200 on the 5"+ lifts and then have to do wheels and tires.

So if I can't lift it, what can I do to stiffen the ride up? It's way too soft for my tastes. I've lifted a tacoma, before, but the leaf packs were over-axel and the front coilovers are easy to lift... I've never worked with under-axel packs and torsion bars before... I know a shackle would lift me in the back... How can I stiffen it up? I assume new shocks? And in the front, I've heard you can "tighten" the torsion bars... What does this accomplish, and what's the downside?

thanks.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I went to some local shops and they couldn't find a cost-effective (under $1000) way for lifting a blazer :(

anyone have some ideas???

7. IntheWorks

you can crank your Tbars and get about an inch or so and still be "safe"... and do a set of shackles or AAL's in the rear. A new set of shocks can definately stiffen your ride a bit. Get a set of Blistens like the ones that come stock on the ZR2s. Unfortunately there is no "cost effective" way to lift a Torsion bar set up, or an IFS set up period. I know you said no BL's. But lots of the S-series guys run a 2" BL with no issues, and they are pretty cheap. Why are you wanting to lift your blazer, for light off road use?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yes, I noticed that the ground clearance on these things SUCK! The frame sits so low... I think I'll crank the t-bars about 1" and go for an aal in the rear (stiffen things up a bit) and I'd definitely do bilstein shocks. I have lifted a tacoma (coilovers) and that thing was so easy and cheap to lift... did a 3" lift for less than $350.

I may end up having to go with a 1" suspension to keep costs down and then a 2" BL to fit the tires I want...

And recommended websites to pickup cheap wheels? Like those all-black rock-crawler rims that I've heard you can get for around $20 a rim?

9. IntheWorks

I have them.. they were 48 a rim I think. The only thing is it's hard to buy them with decent BS since chevy decided to be a pain in the ass and use 6" BS. Get ahold of this guy in michigan he owns a shop called diversified creations (www.diversifiedcreations.com) The owner, Mike, Owns a lifted ZR2 with a C5R motor along with other goodies. He also places orders for custom backspaced black rockcrawlers and really knows his stuff about s-series. If you call after 5 EST you'll probably get him. Otherwise his son Brad should be able to help ya.

He's also a member @ www.zr2.com (LS1ZR2 is his user ID) so you can sign up there and shoot him a PM or something if you want.

10. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

The owner of www.4wheelcustoms.com is a friend of mine. He can probably get them for you. His name is Chris. Sned him a email asking for exactly what you need and he should be able to find it.

11. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

To get the extra room under my truck, i put 2" lift blocks from Autozone in the rear. I think i paid $25 for them, and i cranked my t-bars all the way up, then backed them down a 1/2" Seems to be worrying fine so far. Also i got a set of Pro Comp ES3000's shocks for $120 shipped and they seem to handle pretty well.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I can't use blocks because the leafpacks are mounted under-axel, so they'd lower me. I'm gonna do a small AAL (to stiffen the ride) and a shackle for the rest... that's easy (and cheap). I just wish there was some cost-effective way of getting more than 1" out of the front!

13. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

Why don't you mount the leaf-packs above the axles then, it would give you about a 2" lift in the rear??

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

um, I'm pretty sure it'd give at least 5" of lift... which is too-much unless you know a good way of lifting the front that much. :coolugh:

15. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

I have a 2" body lift on my Zr2, and I love it, no problems at all. If you crank the Tbars in the front you can also get lift shackles in the rear. Daystar makes some, but for a cheaper version (cheaper in price) just go to Autozone, and they have lift shackles there for about $15.

So with a body lift ($215), TB crank, and shackles ($15), you could reasonably get 3-4 inches for under $250.

The body lift is a Performance Accessories, and I have not seen anything bad about it. since it is only a mild body lift there is not much stress on any of the suspension parts, and you should not notice and difference in ride or wear.